Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cold supper >

Cold supper

Cold supper

Old 06-30-2021, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
There is an unprecedented heat wave happening right now in the PNW and western Canada. Those areas do not historically experience the extreme high temperatures that are occurring right now. Records are being broken . Because this heat is not the norm, a great deal of us don’t have AC because it was never a necessity. Where I live we only get about 5 hours of darkness. It starts to cool after dark but the sun is up in a few hours. Having the oven on just adds to the already unbearably hot house.
agree. We are visiting the PNW and are here during the heat wave. Luckily sons house has a/c but not really equipped for such high temps over a long period of time. Plus newer houses aren’t built for heat. We didn’t use oven. Their heat works fine in winter. We live in the south and think our a/c systems are built for long periods of heat and humidity.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

We have a central unit and two splitters. One in my sewing room and one in our bedroom. I can keep the sewing room and bedroom at different temps then the rest of the house. The house temp is auto at 72 year round. Gas fireplaces adds more heat if needed. I grew up without air conditioning in the deep south. We had attic and window fans. I vowed never to sweat while I slept as long as I could pay the electric bill. LOL

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-30-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Neither! Love eggs ... hot. Hate eggs ... cold!
Sorry, not in my hot days cold menu repertoire.

My frig has these ready to face the heat wave ...
Marinated Veggie Salad, Chinese Rice Salad, Glazed Strawberry Pie!
When I have it, feta cheese on the marinated salad.
I still like a hot protein in hot weather, so I cooked a small chicken in the crockpot yesterday. Now have the leftovers to go with all the colds.
What is a Chinese Rice Salad??
Old 06-30-2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
Great ideas, everyone. Please keep them coming. My favorite cool meal is a chicken salad with grapes and curry mayonnaise. We just finished a tuna pasta salad with crushed pineapple. I have also been putting out crudites with blue cheese dressing as a dip nightly. Almost no work.

What is your tuna pasta salad with pineapple? Sounds delish!
Old 06-30-2021, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
We have a central unit and two splitters. One in my sewing room and one in our bedroom. I can keep the sewing room and bedroom at different temps then the rest of the house. The house temp is auto at 72 year round. Gas fireplaces adds more heat if needed. I grew up without air conditioning in the deep south. We had attic and window fans. I vowed never to sweat while I slept as long as I could pay the electric bill. LOL
I grew up in NJ where summers can be very hot and humid and winters freezing and snowy. My father controlled the heat thermostat. I was always freezing. I vowed never to be cold. He did put in room air conditioners because the house used radiators and there was no ductwork. It is interesting that there are so many variations/combinations of heating/cooling that we all have figured out for our benefit.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
DAHLIA MEETING CARRY IN GRAPE SALAD

The first time I went through the line I passed this up, I thought it looked terrible. Then everyone started raving about the grape salad and could they have the recipe.

Trick to making this: soften the cream cheese to warm room temp. Then blend in the white sugar and finally the sour cream. Then it won't curdle. If I'm in a big hurry I microwave it.

2 pounds red seedless grapes
2 pounds green seedless grapes
1/2 cup white sugar
8 oz cream cheese softened
8 oz sour cream
1 teasp. or a double jigger of vanilla on a hot day

Topping: 1 cup brown sugar
1 cup crushed pecans

Chill overnight. Serves 15
One of my family's favorite foods!
Old 07-01-2021, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by mimisue View Post
What is your tuna pasta salad with pineapple? Sounds delish!
Simply shred a can of tuna (I used wild caught packed in water with no salt added), drain a can of crushed pineapple, chop a small onion, add some pasta, and mix with mayo to taste. It always seems I need more mayo in it than usual and I generally add a couple tablespoons of the pineapple juice to it all to keep it creamy. Salt and pepper and chopped parsley to taste. Easy.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mimisue View Post
What is a Chinese Rice Salad??
MimiSue .... Here it is. Hope you will try it.
Please let us know what you think of it, and whether it will become a favourite.

Chinese Rice Salad
Cook ..... 1 cup long grain rice in 2 cups water

While rice is cooking, mix well .....
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup salad oil (I use canola)
2 tbsp. soya sauce
1/2 tsp. salt

Add to warm cooked rice and mix well .....
Oil Mixture (above)
10 oz. can mushrooms, drained
10 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
1 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 cup slivered almonds (or more!)
1/2 cup dried cranberries (or more!)
1 cup frozen peas (not cooked)

Chill at least one hour. Toss with fork to fluff a little. Keeps well in the frig.

* can keep some of the add-ins aside and use as a garnish on top.
* original recipe called for 1/4 cup cider vinegar and 1/2 cup salad oil, but I like the *snap* of the vinegar and switched up the proportions. Sometimes I go equal portions. So play with it, according to your tastes.

Bon Appetit!!

Old 07-01-2021, 09:53 AM

This is certainly not a recipe...lol...but when it's hot out, I like to buy the ready-made salads at Safeway. They're not bad and I don't have to cook. And, if I'm really lazy, I don't even put it into a serving bowl. The plastic bowl that it comes in works just fine. If I want to get fancy, I just add a couple of veggies to the salad, but it's not really necessary. We had the Asian salad last night.

Another idea is to boil up a whole box of pasta, cool and keep in the fridge for noodle salads s/a sesame noodles.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
..................Another idea is to boil up a whole box of pasta, cool and keep in the fridge......
Another option .... keep cooked rice and pasta in the freezer.
Right and Ready whether for a hot meal or cold fix!