Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Using Negative/Empty Spaces >

Quilting Using Negative/Empty Spaces

Quilting Using Negative/Empty Spaces

Old 07-05-2021, 07:11 AM

Default Quilting Using Negative/Empty Spaces

I have recently seen some quilts and floor coverings that look like pieced quilts, only there are space/pieces that do not have any fabric...they're just holes, or empty spaces. Does anyone have experience with this type of design?
Old 07-05-2021, 07:48 AM

Oh, no I haven't. Would like to see some though.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:53 AM

No I haven't but is sounds interesting. If you have some examples it would sure be great to see some.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:54 AM

Hmmm . . . I'm not sure. Do you mean like cutwork?
Old 07-05-2021, 08:23 AM

I haven't seen anything lately but then again, I'm not "keeping current" or getting any magazines.

Haven't been in years (decades?) but we used to have regular modern quilt shows here in Seattle, and I have seen various ideas of space/definitions of quilt..

Mostly I know "negative space" as a term for the large backgrounds used in some modern quilts, I have one planed for metallic cat fabrics (Cattitude by Benartex of course) minimalist blocks and piecing and lots and lots and lots of black.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:38 AM

I do a lot of Modern quilting and the term negative space is used to describe areas that are not pieced blocks (although they may be pieced but usually in similar color so that it doesn't look pieced unless you are doing an up-close look). Quilters then do lots of secondary designs in the space with quilting usually. Is that what you are describing? or do you mean an actually cut-out of the quilt? I haven't seen that.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:47 AM

Is it "cutwork"? Or English Cutwork? Google that and see if that is what you are talking about. Here is one definition I found: : " embroidery usually on linen in which a design is outlined in buttonhole stitch and the enclosed material cut away."
Old 07-05-2021, 10:34 AM

Are you thinking of reverse/negative applique? This is where the top fabric is cut out with different shapes and then appliqued to the bottom fabric allowing it to show through...they are very pretty but a lot of work.
Old 07-05-2021, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

A quilt like that would not appeal to me.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Yoyo quilts are sometimes put together with empty spaces between the yoyos. They are used more as decoration on the bed than for warmth. I remember seeing a quilt similar to this one in a magazine. There were holes where the light colored background fabric appears, and the squares were joined by narrower strips. It was very striking as a wall quilt. I thought I had saved the pattern, but now I can't find it. The only difficult part would be binding around where the holes appeared. I'd be interested in seeing more examples.