Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Canning Flats >

Canning Flats

Canning Flats

Old 07-27-2021, 08:47 AM

I'm not having a problem with the lids, but with the good pectin. For some reason, I have trouble with all of the regular brands of pectin, even the low-sugar ones. I think that it is our water here. It's very soft, spring water. The only brand that I find works for me is Pomona Universal Pectin. The stores around here used to carry it, but not this season. I tried, once again, to make jam using Certo and nope, it didn't gel properly, even though I added some calcium water to the batch. I finally went straight to Pomona's website and ordered some of their pectin in bulk. I don't know what is different about Pomona's, but it always gels up nicely. I'm going to reopen those cans I did earlier, heat it up and add some more sugar and some Pomona's and re-can them. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:17 AM

I was at Hy-Vee (Grocery Store chain) yesterday, and they had both the regular, and wide mouth lids in good quantity. They were $7.99 for 12 lids. There doesn't seem to be a jar shortage here, (Twin Cities) this year at all. I've seen them in many places.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

$7.99 for a dozen lids (only)? It's almost cheaper to buy the jars with the lids.

That would be approxinately similar to paying $20.00 / yard for quilting fabrid.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
$7.99 for a dozen lids (only)? It's almost cheaper to buy the jars with the lids.

That would be approxinately similar to paying $20.00 / yard for quilting fabrid.
I would almost bet that was for packages of lids with matching bands. The price would be about right then but most people want only the flat lids as they already have the bands that one can reuse time after time. It doesn't pay to can if you have to pay that much just for lids. Most people do not need jars either as they use them year after year. It is a shame if people have gardens and have produce ready to can and can not find flats to complete the process. Some things can be frozen but you just don't come out the same with many products. I never cared for frozen green beans or tomatoes. Just my opinion.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post

Exactly! It was just for the lids. I passed on buying them...had the "you can keep them for that price" moment!
Old 08-02-2021, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Checked prices and supply at Walmart this morning. 48 flats for $14.98 for wide mouth jars was price listed on the shelf. There seemed to be many packages. Enough to be on clearance soon. That is when most canners buy them for next canning season. If I catch the sale I'll buy some, will be a thoughtful and surprising gift to a canner for Christmas.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I have been checking our WalMart for the past several months for lids - and no lids only boxes have been on the shelves. Inver Grove Heights, MN) Also had son check out Menards and other places he shops. None. Just checked - again - this morning.

A few jar sets (jars, rings, and lids) have been available - now and then - but no flats for months at this location.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:17 AM

At my local grocery store they had plenty on Saturday when I was there. The problem was the cost. $2.69 per package of 12 lids for regular jars. Way to much IMHO. I purchased 20 packages last year so I have enough to get the year started. Jars are ready to go and lids are ready too. Now to get the produce. I need tomatoes, carrots and potatoes to get started with. I also have meats to get going on too. I have plenty of green beans, jams, jellies, cherries, chicken and pickles done.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:52 AM

$2.69 is cheap. Around here they are about a dollar higher and that is just the usual price.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

$2.69 is a "good" price here, too - if any can be found!