Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Canning Flats >

Canning Flats

Canning Flats

Old 08-04-2021, 01:51 PM

Checked for lids (Ball & Kerr) & there are none to be found in my area. I checked several stores. Was told they have been on back order for over a year. Checked Walmart site & fine print shows not available for shipping or pick up. Same with Target, Lowe's, Tractor Supply, etc. Many on line sites have also jacked the prices way up.

I also saw sellers from China are selling fake lids in Ball boxes, so be careful if you order on line.

I have 2 bushels of tomatoes ordered & with some luck I may have just enough lids.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:13 AM

Has anyone ordered the lids from Mason Tops? I did and it says they shipped and to check the tracking number but there isn’t any tracking number. Has anyone ordered and received their Mason Top lids?
Old 08-06-2021, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

Have you looked in hardware stores?
Old 08-07-2021, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Have you looked in hardware stores?
I checked 3 hardware stores. All said no lids, been back ordered for over a year. Won't get any until January 2022.
Old 08-07-2021, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

A few days ago we went out in the country to get peaches. We stopped at a store that had Amish people working there and found lids.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:46 PM

Alaska sunshine, I ordered lids from masonjarlid.com and my order also says it has shipped, and my charge card has been charged, but no tracking. It also says “no courier found”. I tried emailing to customer service but get no reply. My tomatoes are producing like crazy and starting to ripen now, so I’m trying to decide what to do! I was at Ace Hardware the other day and they have boxes of the flats and rings combined. I suppose I should have gotten them.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:44 AM

I believe that web address for Mason Jar Lids is a SCAM
We spent a lot of money and haven't heard anything! I hope ADMIN takes the link out! The ADDRESS for the SCAM is CHINA.

I should have checked further before ordering. I'm so aggravated!
Old 08-22-2021, 01:00 PM

Got this from a friend. I’ve made 4 quarts bags. It’s called Yard Sauce

Fill a cake pan 9x13 with fresh ripe tomatoes. Cut them in quarters & remove core. Skin can stay on. Add onion slices to taste, 1 green pepper cut in wedges ( seeds removed ) & fresh basil to taste. I had a small zucchini so I added it too. Drizzle with olive oil & bake 350 for an hour. Let sit 5 minutes then pour off juice (can freeze for chili or soup). Put hot mixture through blender in batches. I add Italian Seasoning, Red Pepper flakes and dry basil (if I don’t have fresh). Let cool & bag in quart freezer bags. I sit bags upright in a container in freezer so it doesn’t accidentally tip & leak all over. Use in chili or hot dishes. Beating the canning flat shortage.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:04 AM

I'm in Carroll, Ia and found a ton of them at Bomgaards. They're not "Ball" but at least they're flats. We had this issue last year too but I keep a stock pile of them starting right after the season is over so I'm never without the next season. Couldn't find any at Walmart this past week. I check each week.
Old 08-25-2021, 10:58 AM

My local hardware store, McClendon's has a big canning display. Mostly are the jars and lid sets. But there are also plenty of non-Ball lids and/or lid/ring sets. Fewer Ball options without jars but some...

Unfortunately they don't ship, but if you are in the pacific northwest, McClendon's has them in stock.