Hand mixer recommendations

Old 09-10-2021, 11:00 AM

Default Kitchenaid Handmixer, just the facts

I sold KA hand mixers for 24 yrs. on QVC.
There are 3 different speed levels 5, 7,and 9. The difference between the speed levels are the lowest and highest speeds, being lower and higher,respectively than the level model before it.
The different beater attachments are nice to have but not a necessity. There is a plus etched into the bottom of the mixer that singleton beaters like the whip and blending rod and the double beaters, standard beaters and dough hooks, the beater with the notch should be clicked into. The standard beaters have no center shaft so that what is being mixed sheds off instead of being trapped in the center of the beater. The mixer has been made sleeker over the yrs. to make it easier to wipe clean. The head of the mixer is heavier than the back to reduce hand fatigue and "pull" the beaters down into the bowl. Lastly, the motor is DC instead of AC , more expensive type that allows for the distinctively different speeds. Cord is a heavy duty fused round cord not a flimsier split cord.
I am and was an independent consultant, certified Home Economist just giving the facts, retired.

Last edited by kalady; 09-10-2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by kalady View Post
There are 3 different speed levels 5, 7,and 9. The difference between the speed levels are the lowest and highest speeds, being lower and higher,respectively than the level model before it.
The different beater attachments are nice to have but not a necessity. There is a plus etched into the bottom of the mixer that singleton beaters like the whip and blending rod and the double beaters, standard beaters and dough hooks, the beater with the notch should be clicked into. The standard beaters have no center shaft so that what is being mixed sheds off instead of being trapped in the center of the beater. The mixer has been made sleeker over the yrs. to make it easier to wipe clean. The head of the mixer is heavier than the back to reduce hand fatigue and "pull" the beaters down into the bowl. Lastly, the motor is DC instead of AC , more expensive type that allows for the distinctively different speeds. Cord is a heavy duty fused round cord not a flimsier split cord.
I am and was an independent consultant, certified Home Economist just giving the facts, retired.
Wow, kalady! Great information. Thank you.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by kalady View Post

thank you for all that info. I have a KA stand mixer and it is quite handy. I use the dough hook all the time when making bread, can anyone say sour dough??? A new hobby I took up since I am spending a lot more time at home. It is great for holiday baking and anytime you want to make a double batch.

I will know what to get if I ever need another hand mixer. I just enjoy hearing about the KA quality. BTW, makes the best Italian meringues.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:21 AM

7 speed Cuisinart Hand Mixer…plenty of speed and does a nice job.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

I have the Kitchen Aid Professional 600. I happened to be in Sam's Club one day and there was a one time deal flash special. The mixers were $199. Different colors but not many for sale. I bought one and one for my daughter. Sam's don't have the special sales much anymore.

They use to have great items for the sales. I got a set of All Clad stainless cookware for $99. I about fainted that day, That is usualy a price for one skillet. I was surprised at the many who had no idea what a bargain that was. My daughter said mom stop shouting what a bargain this is in the store. LOL

Both girls got All Clad for Christmas that year and still using it. And we did compare it to the retail All Clad at the Dept store. Same set. Every now and then I meet someone that will commen ot the deal of a lifetime finding All Clad there that day. We laugh and relive our amazment. LOL I love to be reminded of remember when.
Old 09-12-2021, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
Made a cake this morning and realized that I've always hated my cheap black hand mixer. I don't have the counter space for a stand alone mixer. There are so many mixers listed on Amazon, some with their own case for the beaters, that I'm feeling overwhelmed. What brand do you have and do you recommend it?
Several years ago I gave my son my old hand mixer when he moved into his new house. At the time, the mixer was way old and I rarely used it because my Kitchenaid sat on my counter. Well I regretted it and my bff sent me a Cuisinart as a gift. I love it and use it all the time. It has a clear base that it snaps into and the beaters and cord are all neatly stored inside. Imho - definitely get one with a case - a Cuisinart would be a good choice but my guess is there are others that are less expensive that are good as well. When I am looking at something random an Amazon .... I always read all the negative comments first. Good luck with you new mixer
Old 09-12-2021, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

As far as hand mixers, I still use the one I got for a wedding present for my first marriage in 1965. I dont' remember the brand and it is no frills, but, still works great and I use it when I need a hand mixer. I also have a basic Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer which lives in a corner of my kitchen counter. I have plenty of space, but still don't like things on the counter. But, it is there and I use it too.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:08 PM

I have one of the earlier Kitchen Aide Stand Mixers. I think they only had white when I got mine. I also got the grinder attachment for it which I use. It is a work horse. But what I use most these days is the 5 speed Kitchen Aide Hand mixer I got. It has three different blades for it. I actually only use the big one now a few times a year, one time is to grind the ham and pork for the "ham balls" we make for Christmas. Also If and when I make bread or stiff cookie dough which is not often anymore. I still leave the stand mixer out but it is covered with a homemade cover I made using old kitchen curtains eons ago. It is just too heavy to move around. It is tucked in a corner, the only appliance I leave out in my tiny kitchen. I do like the little hand mixer, it is just perfect for the mostly "mix" muffins, cookies, and brownies I make mostly.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:20 AM

Kitchenaide hand mixer. Lasts and lasts.