Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021

Virtual Quilting Weekend—October 8-11, 2021

Old 10-10-2021, 06:28 AM

Jean, just stunning! What an accomplishment!
I did some hand binding last night but thought I would share my work from this past week's retreat(s). I also finished an entire row of Dear Jane blocks!
Attached Thumbnails 20211009_130942.jpg   20211008_091511.jpg   20211008_084533.jpg   20211008_084508.jpg  
Old 10-10-2021, 09:07 AM

I don't know how well the picture will turn out, but Bernie is behaving nicely today. I've been "stabilizing" the top I call Aunt Debbie Bleeds Blue, for my hubby's aunt who is a U Michigan sports fan. The goal is to get this done/shipped out before (again) the Bonnie Hunter mystery starting on Black Friday -- I should make it, if Bernie stays cooperative.

I am quilting design challenged and I got spoiled when I did have a long arm available for my use. For now, I'm reinforcing the design choice of rickrack with my walking foot and a serpentine stitch along the gentle curves of the fan blocks. I have about two more rounds to go, and then I plan to fill in the large areas with FMQ of a vines/flowers meander. The serpentine rounds should be done today.

I'm pleased with the smoothness of the back, even with the delay in getting started quilting on this one (Bernie was in the shop). I'm happy with the tension, the back blue just disappears which was the goal.

Instead of my usual 14 needle, I decided (partly from another thread) to try a 16 jeans needle. It's fine. I'll see what it's like before I start the FMQ part.
Attached Thumbnails 100_6203.jpg  
Old 10-10-2021, 09:52 AM

This week-end I am working on binding for a charity that makes hospice quilts (sort of). I say sort of because she makes & distributes these quilts to patients in the hospital who never really have the chance of getting into hospice because of their limited time on this earth. After the family member passes, the quilt goes home with the family.
It's been ages since I've had an opportunity to sew & that has driven me crazy. Now I'm taking some time for myself to get my mind & body back into a "good space". I need some sort of sewing/quilting every day to function well.
Sounds like everyone is going to be busy working on their week-end projects.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:01 AM

Just checking in before I get started for the day, Yesterday was fun but very little cutting was accomplished. I was smoothing the fabric before I was going to cut the salvages and silly me I was also sipping my coffee. Guess what I did? Yes coffee on the WOW fabric, cleaned it as best I could and will cut today, any fabric that looks like it's still has coffee I will give it a good rinse after I have cut. Fortunately I pre-washed the whole length. Did enjoy seeing a lot of old friends at the two evening events we had yesterday. DH is in his garage and I'm to the cutting table!

Also love all the projects and pictures we have some awesome sewers here.
Old 10-10-2021, 11:32 AM

IceBlossom, that is really pretty. Like the shades of blue with the yellow.
Old 10-10-2021, 12:36 PM

Default Sunday Update

Ta-Da everyone - goodness, we all have been productive this weekend! Beautiful work all the way around!

I was less than productive yesterday, though I am now back on track. I cut my white hexagons, then realized that I don't really have a place to put all my hexies, so I grabbed some foam board and made a box that sits on my desk now. The left side (top on the pic) has all my hexie forms, the right side has all my white hexies and then the middle has the rosette hexies.

My boy dog was a little stinker yesterday, too. I had a pin cushion that I had just emptied and put on my desk, somehow it managed to fall into the floor and he took off with it and chewed it up. That was his way of telling us he hadn't been fed, so after I picked up all the pieces, I gave him a big bowl of food and he was happy. I'm glad that there wasn't any pins or needles in it, though now I am out a pin cushion that I use specifically for my hand sewing, so at some point in time today, I'm going to have to make a new one. Goofy boy dog.

I did run my theory of tearing down the QSTs and resewing them using a 1/8" seam, it's doable but I went ahead and pulled out four fat quarters and will be pulling out my Muslin later today to cut a couple more FQs so I have enough to just do them again fresh. I made the corrections in the book, so no more making that mistake, lol.

The rest of the day I'm going to work on my leaf blocks, I ordered a quarter inch ruler Friday but I won't get it until Wednesday, so just going to slow down on the table quilt until I get it. If I can, I'll start sewing some hexies.

Attached Thumbnails img_20211010_121256.jpg   img_20211010_121413.jpg  
Old 10-10-2021, 01:29 PM

Nana-What an amazing quilt. I am using my kindle, so was able to zoom right in on it, WOW is all I can say. Beautiful work, I'm in awe..

Iceblossom-I remember you posting about your quilt previously, but seeing it completed, wow, your shade of blue with the yellow is stunning. Enjoy your FMQ.

Railroader- your leaf blocks are beautiful, again, zoomed in on them, your points are perfect!!! Great work, can't wait to see it finished.

I got some work done today at the sewing machine. I finished the cording for four jelly roll table runners, just got to zigzag them together. I also got 15 pillows stuffed and now I'm working on glueing them closed so I can do the final stitch to close them, all fall themed. I am still busy sewing jelly roll rugs and table runners for the craft space I have as well as for the two shops I am in, plus trying to get ready for 4 craft fairs I have signed up for later this fall. Hopefully the craft fairs will still proceed, hard telling with Covid and all, if not, how I look at it is, fabric doesn't go bad, so I can tuck stuff away for another time.

I also added a cabinet to my studio today that I can store fabric in, it's all enclosed with a door that secures, so no dust can get in and cause me to sneeze when trying to sew. Can't wait to add fabric I have stored in other totes to make it easier to access.

It's back to work for me tomorrow, so no sewing for me, everyone who can, enjoy. Thank you Raggiemom for hosting. I am looking forward to the two VQW in November. Happy sewing everyone.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:31 PM

Jean, your quilt is awesome and more.
I decided on a thread color - soft blush pink - it reads as white on the crossroads, but isn't stark white on the 16 colorful patches.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:50 PM

Well, I did a little English paper piecing today and prepped three projects also so I feel like I accomplished something this weekend . I was planning to take it easy this weekend so knew I wouldn't get too much done!

I see many of you have been much more industrious this weekend than I was--good for you!
Old 10-11-2021, 02:40 AM

I'm jealous of all the beautiful quilts being posted!

4 episodes of "Bull" later I'm within an arms length of finishing tying the giant batik.

So many other projects on deck - so of course I planned out a Trip Around The World from stash. Sigh. Just another PIB - project in bag