Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hello from Canby Oregon! >

Hello from Canby Oregon!

Hello from Canby Oregon!

Old 10-11-2021, 11:46 AM

Smile Hello from Canby Oregon!

Hi! Just introducing myself. I've been a lurker on the forum for a bit - looking up info on vintage and antique machines. I love all the knowledge and experience shared here! Now I have gotten brave and want to start using the vintage/antique machines that I've collected. I tried quilting 20 years ago, and stopped mid-way through completing the top. Now that I'm older, and *hopefully have more patience and experience, I'm ready to try again. I'll probably be looking for use/parts info on treadle machines (Singer 66, White FR) and 50-60's era machines. I'd also like to try hand quilting. I have an aunt I used to visit as a kid that hand quilted some amazing quilts. Looks really relaxing.
Other stuff about me: my day job is as a supervisor at a steel company, I paint watercolor and soft pastel in my free time. I also teach/taught painting (before Covid) in my studio on my property. I live on 6 acres near the Willamette River in Oregon with my two older teenage children, my mom (in a cottage), goats, a million chickens, dogs, cats, and ducks. I'm a widow (12+ years). Winters are long and dark here, and I love having something to work on with my hands.

Last edited by ElinLewis76; 10-11-2021 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-11-2021, 12:29 PM

Welcome out of lurking! I'm waving from a bit north of you in the general Seattle Region. Is nice to have a cozy hobby like sewing/quilting for our long wet winters. Personally, I don't find hand work very relaxing but that's the nice thing about quilting is we can each find our niche or explore different concepts.

Hope you find yourself able to post pictures -- I bet you have quite the eye with your painting background.
Old 10-11-2021, 01:05 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:32 AM

Welcome from Iowa. Used to live in MT back in the 70's so I know about dark and very cold periods of time. Back then I didn't have any hobbies or any sort of outlets so you're lucky you have so many to choose from the farm animals, your kids, painting and now quilting. This is a great group of folks that will help when asked, give attaboys on your photos, etc.

Again, welcome.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:52 AM

Welcome to the QB from SE Michigan. Your painting skills intrigue me as I have not a painting bone in my body. I hand quilt as well as machine piece and quilt. I love the relaxing feeling that comes with hand quilting and piecing. I am also a vintage machine lover and have 14, not as many as some here, vintage machines. They are in working order. You should have a lot of fun here and there is so much to share and learn. Glad you have joined us. Again welcome to the QB.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:00 PM

Welcome from NE Ohio
Old 10-13-2021, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 10-13-2021, 04:13 AM

Another Michigan welcome! Continue to lurk, but pop in now and again with comments and questions. As you have seen, we are all full of opinions and lots of knowledge about all things sewing, crafty, creative and cooking.