Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
tip of the day >

tip of the day

tip of the day

Old 10-23-2021, 04:05 AM

Default tip of the day

I do not have an iron that turns itself off. I don't want one either as I want it ready to use when I'm piecing. But occasionally I forget to turn it off/unplug it and that scares me, especially if I'm leaving the house. I've taken to the idea of putting a chair in front of the door when I plug the iron in. It's a good reminder to not leave without unplugging the iron.
Old 10-23-2021, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I agree that unplugging the iron after using it is "safer" than just "turning it off".

I had an iron that "turned itself off" - and I set it down on the floor to clear off the ironing board - not realizing that just moving it would turn it back on - I now have a melted spot on the carpet.

So - even with a self-shutting off iron - I also unplug it when it is not in use.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:00 AM

Another idea is to plug your iron into a power strip that also has a light plugged into it. When you turn the power strip on, the light and iron both come on. When you are done, turn the power strip off, light turns off and so does the iron. If you see the light on when passing your sewing/crafts room/area, you will know your iron is still on.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:22 AM

I like to unplug my iron when not using......but, I have concluded, it is better for me to have an iron that shut off too as I have gone back in the room to find my iron still plugged (meaning I forgot to unplugg it). I am getting older, I don't suspect my memory will improve! It doesn't take much time to get it back on, when I go back to the iron, I just automatically pick it up and gently shake it before I put my fabric on the ironing board and arrange it for ironing. I keep my iron away from my sewing area as it is better for me to move around a bit but I do usually piece in batches and then take the whole batch to the board to iron.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:02 AM

I had one of those old irons that didn't turn off by itself, got it at a garage sale for $1. Got super hot which I liked too. But others have mentioned they occasionally forgot to turn it off. I did that a couple times, once for 2 days when I finally realized it. The following week I turned it on to use it and as I was pressing some fabric, it caught fire right where the cord goes into the iron itself. Sparks flying too and some dropped right onto my pressing board. Had just put a new silver type fabric cover on it too the week before. I pulled the cord out of the wall quickly and doused the ironing board with water as the batting under the silver fabric is cotton. Got lucky as I didn't get burned during the process. Boy was that a wake up call for me. Got myself a new iron with a auto shut-off which I still hate but rather be safe than sorry. I also added a surge protector and have the new iron plugged into it. I turn the iron off thru the surge protector button as I notice that light when its on. That was a close call for me as my house is over 120yo and made of wood. I tell folks that live near me that if they ever see my house on fire, grab the cats and brings out the marshmallows and hotdogs cause I doubt the firemen will get here in time to save it. We have a volunteer fire dept so you're looking at least 20-30 minutes before they response I suspect.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:13 AM

I unplug my iron automatically and just wait for it to warm up again. That gives me the opportunity to look over my seam and be sure I did not miss anything. I would be glad to be safer than sorry.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:23 AM

I leave my shoes in my quilt room….so have to go back in there before going out. Reminds me to check that iron is unplugged and sewing machine is off.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:42 PM

You could also use a elastic band that you could use on the cord when using iron simply slip the elastic on your wrist, stuff like this helps me.
Old 10-23-2021, 03:39 PM

I have a gaudy, awful bracelet I found at the dollar store that I slip on when I turn on the iron, lol.
Old 10-23-2021, 05:05 PM
Power Poster

I am a habit type person. I unplug the iron and then turn off the light above the sewing machine. If for some reason I forget, the light reminds me at bedtime to go in and turn it off when I go up the stairs.