Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2021/2022 - Rhododendron Trail

Old 01-25-2022, 04:11 PM

Here is what I came up with. the two basic blocks are what Bonnie used - with the colors changed around so they are not all the same. I took this picture and then realized I'd forgotten to put the aqua border on. it's got a 4" border on now.

Attached Thumbnails imgp5481.jpg   imgp5484.jpg  
Old 01-25-2022, 06:23 PM

Oh, Terry! Go for the whole shot!

Macybaby, what a fascinating quilt. It’s funny how some minor color changes gives it a whole different look. I love it.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:17 PM

Macybaby I really like it! Totally different yet the same......wonderful!
Old 01-26-2022, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

Macy- that looks great!

Unbelievably, I only have to sew the last side of the binding to my niece's quilt and it's done! I've never made a complete quilt that fast. Then I can get back to all of you!
Old 01-26-2022, 05:51 AM

Love your take on the project, Macybaby!

My white fabric came yesterday and is in the wash as I type. Hope to have a productive day or two and fresh pictures showing my choices soon.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:54 AM

SusieQOH, that is wonderful! She will love it. Macy, wow! I love your quilt, the colors just everything about it. Terry, I would have gulped down what hubby had left in his glass. Glad that it helped you. I have to get back into this today, no excuses. I took that two day class and was so exhausted I havent done a darn thing since. I have an auto immune disorder so it can really zap my energy. Today without fail I am going to sew the flying geese together and find out how I did on the quarter inch seams. Ha! So much fun to see everyone's progress and how beautiful each of you have made this. We have some talented people on this thread. This is not a simple pattern at all and I am so impressed with each of you.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:04 AM

Your quilts are all beautiful! I am hopefully finishing my current project today. The temp is below zero for the first time this winter and I have no intention of leaving the house. I laid out my fabrics for rhodo trail to keep me motivated!

Question for those of you that have finished your tops. Do you need all of the aqua listed for the sashing? I am a little short on aqua for the fabric requirements. I bought everything the shop had, but it's still about 7 inches short of the listed amount.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:32 AM

Origami -- I hope to find out a definitive answer today, but when the clue was first released, my count of the number of strips needed was less than the original amount of yardage quoted. Some of it can depend on how wide your fabric is, sometimes being able to cut just one more piece per row makes things come out way better, other times you still need more. Count up the strips cut for the sashing and don't forget the extra strips cut for that inner border. Also notice that the border is wider than the sashing!

Keep in mind that you can cut wide bands and then slice them into narrow rectangles, or if you are just a couple pieces off, you can cut a narrow strip and get a couple more pieces that way.

When I was looking at using my "splattered" aqua, it is a bit short on the yardage but it seemed to be enough. I also thought about ways to extend what I had, so that the inner border doesn't have to match the sashing. Or, I considered using a different color of sashing just around the corner blocks or going 2 blocks in (on the diagonal) -- gives sort of a medallion effect.

Been in a low funk last couple of days waiting on my 4" inches of white... is in the dryer now so maybe I should go cut my sashing and get a better answer.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:14 AM

IceBlossom I’m glad your fabric arrived! I finished my Valentine themed quilt for the living room last night and plan to dive back in to Rhododendron Trail later today. More of those floppy triangles need to be made and hopefully I can start adding sashing and start assembly. I’m not planning to lay it all out first because of floor room issues and will just dive in. I have decided to just make it per pattern and resist the urge to tweak!
Old 01-27-2022, 07:51 AM

Did more ironing and cooking yesterday than sewing and zero cutting. Maybe today will be more productive...I did actually do quite a lot yesterday just not much project related.