Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
LED Lights for the Sewing Room??? >

LED Lights for the Sewing Room???

LED Lights for the Sewing Room???

Old 11-15-2021, 07:18 AM

Default LED Lights for the Sewing Room???

I'm in the process of having new lights installed for my sewing room which is in the basement. Right now I have those ugly shop lights. Some are 8 foot, most are the 4 foot. Want to go with 4 foot LED daylight type lights with a cover over them. My sister has some and the light goes all over with the type of cover on them. That's what I'm looking for but can't seem to find them.

Does anyone have LED lights and if so, where did you get them and if you can give me the model number or any info on them I'd appreciate. PHotos would be nice too.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

I have the can led lights. I wish they were two feet apart in a grid pattern! I bought the Grace on rollers light bars that go over a long arm. I have them over my cutting table, my sewing table and my ironing table. The bulbs do not last as long as they say, I have to replace them at least once year. It's great you get to choose your lighting, don't let the electrician talk you out of it!
Old 11-15-2021, 07:50 AM

Sorry can't help you regarding your specific question BUT I do have LED track lights over my cutting table and ironing station. Got them at Wal-mart last year. Found them in the hardware dept. BUT DH said Sam's and Costco have "hanging" LED that may work for you. Did you check amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Kihung-Fixtur...NsaWNrPXRydWU= Not sure how big your basement is. Have fun creating your special space.
Old 11-15-2021, 08:39 AM

I have LED track lights bought at Menards - regular light with LED bulbs.

However DH has several really neat longer shop lights that are LED - also bought at home improvement stores (Menards, Home Depot or Lowes, don't recall which one).
Old 11-15-2021, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

My kitchen has a bar of small LED lights, but boy are they bright and you can point them wherever you need them.
This is a photo of the kitchen, with the lights barely visible at the top.
Attached Thumbnails img_1553.jpg  
Old 11-15-2021, 03:37 PM

My basement sewing room has recessed fluorescent lights. My husband recently replaced all of the fluorescent lights with LED daylight lights. The recessed fixtures have covers over them, so a picture would only show recessed light fixtures. He bought the LEDs at Menards. The light is really much better. I don't know if this is helpful or not though.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:12 PM

JulienM1, I checked these lights out, thanks for the website. Seems the clicks are cheaply made and may be too bright for what I need. Am lighting for "dayligh't brightness over the cutting table and quilt machine. Have open rafters which is where all my utility lights are hung now.

Thanks for the insight on these though.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

I have very high ceilings and it's a big hassle to change bulbs. My husband waits until a few are out before getting the the tall ladder out. We tried one of the bulb extension poles and that did not work well at all. The main reason why I went with the light bars for my sewing room. Think of ease of changing bulbs whatever you decide.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:13 PM

I have very low ceilings but still need to use a short ladder. Want to go with those type of lights that have no bulbs to change out. Think they have some sort of strip bar inside the light fixture. My electrician mentioned just changing out to LED T8 light bulbs but I hate the look of the utility lights altogether plus some are older than the hills, some had to have their ballast changed out, some are 8ft but most of 4ft doubles.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

My daughter has some of the strip lights that do not need to be changed, you have to buy the whole unit when it goes out and pray the same unit is still made to fit. She has already been told her lights are obsolete now Her house was built four years ago. She said they last her over a year with normal use.