Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2022- What are your quilting goals? >

2022- What are your quilting goals?

2022- What are your quilting goals?

Old 12-16-2021, 05:29 AM

I have several quilting goals to get done.
1. Finish my niece's graduation quilt that is 3 years behind.
2. Make at least 4 quilts using my Accuquilt system
3. Complete 3 Boom (Block Swaps from this board) Quilts.
4. Clean and organize my sewing room.
5. Continue to work just from my stash
6. Repair The stack of quilts in the guest room
7. Have a stash bash where I take out all the fabrics in my stash and reorganize
them.
I may not get all of this completed but I will get a good start on many of these items.

I think that is enough.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:19 AM

Bargello quilt is on my list.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:23 AM

my quilting goals for 2022:
1. I want to keep up with the decluttering that I started several years ago. To that end I plan to:
A.continue working from my stash and buying only what I need to finish specific quilts (usually backing), or to replenish my blender fabrics and WOW fabrics as they get used up. I've been very good about this this year and have seen a significant reduction in my stash as a result. The bonus is that by being careful about what I choose to replenish means my stash is now filled with fabrics that can be used in a wide variety of quilts and I can still have fun buying fabrics without breaking the budget or overrunning my fabric storage area.
B. get rid of a semi vintage sewing machine that I have been holding on to, but that I never really bonded with.
C. keep up with my scraps and also my scrap batting. For years I have been making scrap scarves out of my tiny scraps and selling those to get them out of the house. I also have been cutting up anything smaller than a fat quarter into sizes that I like to use and was successful in using up most of my 2.5" squares in 2021 thanks to the Debbie Brown 16 patch quilt along. I have also been using larger bits of scrap batting that stitch together to use in small quilts and table runners and have been cutting the really small pieces into bits to use in pillow stuffing.
For scrap management in 2022 I want to:
a. do some eclectic quilts using my orphan blocks, orphan HSTs and some of the other sizes out of my scrap saver system.
b. do an improvisational quilt
c. come up with some additional ways to use scrap batting.
2. learn at least one new skill- every year I try to focus on learning one new skill. In 2021 I learned how to use the webbing method to make 16 patches and also a method to bind my quilts completely by machine using my zipper foot. I won't use the zipper foot binding technique for show quilts, but it works well and looks very nice for everyday quilts that are meant to be used and it works on my straight stitch only machine-double bonus! Not sure what new skill I want to learn in 2022- but I'm sure something will suggest itself.
3.Make a whole cloth quilt from some difficult to use fabric in a luscious color that I received from my grandmother's estate- it's a slinky slightly shiny fabric that looks great when quilted, but does require careful handling. This will challenge my technical skills as well as help me further work on my design skills.

That's probably plenty to keep me busy in 2022, LOL.

I'm enjoying reading what others want to accomplish in the new year.

Rob

Last edited by rryder; 12-16-2021 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

Someone mentioned not buying every single thing she sees online. That's me too! I'm not going to indulge (hopefully)
Old 12-18-2021, 09:32 AM

My goal is to get back to what I enjoy. I've been learning to paint with alcohol ink. It has a flowing, translucent effect that I love, and my thought was to add some sewing to it, but because the surface has to be smooth, I have lots of intimidating experimentation in my future. I want to get back to fabric, too. There's something soothing and creative that I miss. I'm finally finishing a color wheel quilt I've had on Tin Lizzie for over a year, and next is an art quilt of a photo my son took in Cuba. It's a night scene of very poor houses lit by a street light, making even those houses look like they're washed in gold. To me it's emblematic of the spirit of even the very poor Cubans -- making the most of their lives with the little they have. Then I'm going to work on a "controlled" scrap quilt.

Aren't we lucky to have so much and such exciting ideas playing In our heads!
Old 12-19-2021, 03:24 AM

Top of my list is to take my machine in for a thorough cleaning!
Old 12-21-2021, 10:33 AM

My 2022 goal is to resist starting any new projects. I have an Orca Bay in pieces, the blocks of a Roll, Roll Cotton Boll ready to assemble, a Quatrefoil partially cut, Edyta Sitar's covid mystery begun, Quilted Twins covid mystery in pieces, a second En Provence just wanting borders and the blocks of the two BOM sew-alongs I joined this year to complete and sew together. Those will be this year's piecing projects. I just have to resist any new QB sew-alongs!
Old 12-21-2021, 01:42 PM

SallyS
I love alcohol ink. You're going to use fabric? Maybe imitation leather would have the right surface texture. Hmmmmm. I'm so excited to hear your plans.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
My goal is the same as last year and I did it in 2021. Finish 12 quilts. One a month is the goal but that doesn't always work. It's not as difficult as it sounds, I have way too many flimsies. I just have to make myself sandwich and quilt one a month. It helps that my Guild has a "Get -R-Done" competition. We can list up to 20 quilts to finish. They don't have to be flimsies, it can just be fabric purchased to make a quilt.
What are flimsies?

My quilt goal for 2022 is to make and donate a Quilt of Valor.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by FoggyButFocused View Post
What are flimsies?

My quilt goal for 2022 is to make and donate a Quilt of Valor.
Flimsies- for some unknown to me reason are what some quilters are choosing to call their unquilted quilt tops. Personally I hate the reference. The dictionary definition of flimsy is:

Definition of flimsy

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a: lacking in physical strength or substanceflimsy silkswore a flimsy dress
b: of inferior materials and workmanshipflimsy construction
2: having little worth or plausibility

in light of that- I do not make my quilt tops ( flimsy) and truely do not understand why anyone would put that description on something they put so much time energy and materials into.
but, there are lots of descriptive terms I don’t understand.