In a bad slump

Old 01-10-2022, 01:47 PM

Default In a bad slump

This has been going on for several months now. Have been quilting for about 20 plus years and the last few months have just not been able to produce anything. I am 74 now and all the relatives have something I have made. (Actually more than they probably really need.) That said I have also sold several things on Etsy etc. I have even QUIT quilt guild. I have a wonderful sewing room and a sit down machine. How do I get my enthusiasm back?

Old 01-10-2022, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by catsden View Post
This has been going on for several months now. Have been quilting for about 20 plus years and the last few months have just not been able to produce anything. I am 74 now and all the relatives have something I have made. (Actually more than they probably really need.) That said I have also sold several things on Etsy etc. I have even QUIT quilt guild. I have a wonderful sewing room and a sit down machine. How do I get my enthusiasm back?
my mojo comes and goes. I just roll with it and do something else. For me no amount of organizing or looking at patterns or 15 minutes a day has worked. I just do something else and don’t worry about it. One day it come back for me.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:27 PM

Sign up for a retreat or a class. Pick a simple project or new tool technique to learn. Hanging out with other quilters always inspires me.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

I know not to give in to yuk feelings. If I did I would just sit and sigh about how awful it is to be blah. I went to a quilt class today and almost didn't go as I didn't feel motivated and didn't want to sew. I am so glad I made myself go. I had a great time making a fast three yard quilt. Non stressful sewing and inexpensive. There were twelve of us and the quilters were fun to be around. I was surprised to hear a few say they were feeling blah too and the class helped with their moods. It doesn't have to be quilting. I go do something new, try a new recipe, go buy new bath towels, anything to get change my mindset. It works for me . I hope you find something that works for you.

Last edited by Onebyone; 01-10-2022 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:07 PM

Been there more than once. Ran out of friends and realitves so now sew for Project Linus. Great bunh of quiltrs. Meet monthly. No pressure. Think about a charity. Really fixed my slump.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

You might want to talk your doctor. A visit to him helped me out of the doldrums. He said a lot of people are experiencing this. Best wishes !
Old 01-10-2022, 03:23 PM

I'm sorry you are having a rough time. I know that my productivity has been way down the last couple of years and while I typically am planned years in advance in what I want to make, I'm finding myself not really wanting to do much of anything at all.

I try to use one part "fake it until you make it" that I go ahead and try and do something fabric related, whether that is looking at a magazine or on line, or at fabric or something.

And then on the other hand, I give myself some slack. I ask "what is stopping me" and "is there anything I can do to remedy that". I have a small family myself and most of them have been quilted recently enough, maybe time to start another round but no babies or graduations or weddings or other things going on. I found it very demoralizing that especially during 202 that we couldn't find anyone local to take our "baby corner" donations due to Covid concerns. I decided I'd just have to concentrate on the part that makes me the happiest, the planning and piecing and let finishing and donating wait.

One of the things to do is ask yourself if you are simply done with this hobby. If the answer is no, where would you like to go? What would you like to do, what did you always put off until someday -- because maybe someday is now.

Best of luck and peace and joy -- and hang in there, baby!
Old 01-10-2022, 03:27 PM

When that happened to me, I had to do something. I didn’t want to make quilts. So, I put out an appeal to a middle school near me. If anyone wanted free quilting lessons with fabrics, threads, etc supplied, contact me. I figured middle school kids would be interested more than high school kids. I managed to get a couple more sewing machines. I had 5 kids. They loved it. They learned a few quilt sewing basics as well as machine basics. I have a simple Christmas tree skirt pattern and they made them. I actually enjoyed it. Btw, I cut out the fabrics. I didn’t trust them with a rotary cutter.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Perhaps you have already realized the reason for your slump ... no one to make quilts for!

Suggestion ... find a new cause outside of your family and friends!!
Perhaps find a charity that would like quilts?
Having someone or some group who "wants" your work, will help you get the joie de vivre back?
Old 01-10-2022, 04:39 PM
Power Poster

I haven’t been working on any quilts right now but I have caught up on my mending. I have also been making 3 ply fun masks for family and friends. I don’t get concerned if I don’t feel like quilting, I know I will come back to it when I’m ready. I have a baby quilt to do in the spring so I will use a panel and machine quilt it.