Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
finish a quilt??? >

finish a quilt???

finish a quilt???

Old 01-17-2022, 01:07 PM

Default finish a quilt???

Someone just asked me to finish a quilt for a friends mother Well I do not want to take on any quilts started I am getting to the age I just want to make the ones I enjoy

If you have any suggestions where she could get help with the quilt
Old 01-17-2022, 01:32 PM

Good for you for knowing your limits and being strong enough to say No. Maybe she can reach out to a local guild. Perhaps a member there would be interested.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LAF2019 View Post
Good for you for knowing your limits and being strong enough to say No. Maybe she can reach out to a local guild. Perhaps a member there would be interested.
Good suggestion.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:41 PM

I would simply say, “thank you for thinking of me, unfortunately at this time I just don’t have the time or the inclination to take on any more projects.” Then perhaps I would make suggestions where they might find someone to do what they are looking for.
Kudos for speaking up, I know it can be callenging.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:13 PM

yes my hair dresser now wants me to make her smocks and or aprons since I quilt! so far I am working on a quilt and going to Doctors. I will get her a smock done but not fast.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:21 PM

A childhood friend gave me her mom's stash when they broke up her house. There were several flimsies and half finished tops. I finished 3 for her and found a long armer to finish 2. I told my friend the prices for the long armer and finished 3 on my own. She was happy to pay and thrilled to have finished quilts. It felt good to help out but, never again. It's just hard to finish someone else's work.
Old 01-17-2022, 02:23 PM

I have had to learn many gracious and some not-so-nice ways to decline work offered to me. Also, once people start getting quoted prices, their perceived value also changes. Basically I say something like "I appreciate your faith in me, but this is just not what I do and I would not feel comfortable being responsible for it". And then I refer them, like you are doing. If you do have a local guild or local quilt store, either places could be a good for starting point getting referrals. If that is harder to find, you might see about local long-arm quilters, many of whom do offer other sewing services or maybe know people who do.

A lot depends on the quilt pattern and what stage it is in. There's a difference between a great big bag of hexagons and a completed top that "just" needs to be quilted. I have completed some UFOs just for fun. There are some that are simply no fun at all...

I would also have a discussion with the friend on the desired quality of finish/desired goal of the finished quilt and give them some sort of idea on how many hours/how long it would take to finish the project -- like the rough going rate in your area for the machine or hand quilting.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:31 PM

I have a friend, that I actually taught to quilt, going thru some scary medical issues. She had two tops that she wanted quilted, worried about her health outcome. She paid me well and gave me a huge tub of fabric. She did not think she would ever get back to quilting.
also had another friend always asking me to mend/ repair things. After my DH passed I told her I wasn’t up to doing any sewing. Well that was just a little white lie. I prefer to work on my own projects in my own sweet time.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:36 PM

I always just tell people I can't keep up with quilts for my family so can't take on anything else. As most people know I come from an enormous family, they don't question my response. It's my nice way of saying no. If pushed, then I just say "no, I can't".
Old 01-17-2022, 06:10 PM

It's good you spoke up. I have done so many a time. I know that my work is not as great as most but flattered that I'm asked to make something. I will make quilts when I feel it calls out to me to do so. My quilting buddy passed away a year ago on the 12th of this month. I miss her dearly, but it's because of her that I have the motivation to make quilt tops for the most part so I can use up the fabric I do have.