FMQ Tips for Pfaff 130?

Old 01-20-2022, 08:30 PM

Default FMQ Tips for Pfaff 130?

I'm ready to try fmq on my new Pfaff 130 (super score at thrift- $25. with cabinet, looks and sews like brand new! ). does anyone have some tips to share? There are so many things to adjust on the machine - it's a bit daunting. I got a darning foot with the machine so plan to use it as I couldn't find any listings on the web for a quilting foot specifically for a 130. Maybe all Pfaff feet fit all Pfaff machines?? Being a vintage Singer collector, I know zero about Pfaffs. I just couldn't pass up this beauty and only later did I discover what a treasure I got. I'm giggling with excitement! Any help with adjustments, tips, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-20-2022, 08:41 PM

I like to use a size 90 Topstitch needle and polyester thread for FMQ. You can leave the feed dogs up if you want. But adjust the presser foot tension so it's really loose.

Have fun with that awesome machine!
Old 01-21-2022, 09:30 AM

I'm actually FMQ/doing ruler quilting on my Pfaff 130 right now. This is what I do: Top tension at 5. Stitch width dial at 0. Bottom tension at 1 o'clock. Feed dogs lowered. I use a Schmetz Quilting needle, size 90/14. I use a basic low shank FMQing foot for FMQ, and the Westlee (Sew Steady) low shank ruler foot for ruler quilting. It's a gem to quilt on! Here is a picture of mine being used on another quilt, not my current project.
Attached Thumbnails img_20200615_104927876.jpg  
Old 01-22-2022, 07:06 PM

Thanks to both of you for your help. I'll put your tips to use.
Old 01-27-2022, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I'm actually FMQ/doing ruler quilting on my Pfaff 130 right now. This is what I do: Top tension at 5. Stitch width dial at 0. Bottom tension at 1 o'clock. Feed dogs lowered. I use a Schmetz Quilting needle, size 90/14. I use a basic low shank FMQing foot for FMQ, and the Westlee (Sew Steady) low shank ruler foot for ruler quilting. It's a gem to quilt on! Here is a picture of mine being used on another quilt, not my current project.
Nice quilt. Cool idea to use a bobbin with the upper thread.