New National Hand Crank

Old 01-27-2022, 05:17 PM

Default New National Hand Crank

I am new to this forum, and have been really enjoying the vintage machine posts. This machine was my grandmothers. It is a New National, made by New Home, so I read. It usually lives on top of my New Home treadle when I am not using it. It is a wonderful machine, runs very smoothly, and has a very heavy base, making it quite stable in use.
I Just wanted to post this picture to show one of the wonderful uses of a hand crank machine. I decided to make a patchwork blanket, or do I dare say quilt, out of left over fabric from our local Days for Girls group. Flannel scraps. When I had put a bunch of pieces together and wanted to sew on some long strips, I figured out that if I put the hand crank on a stool, I could roll the material up on the table, and move the sewing machine!
Attached Thumbnails img_20201223_091110362-sized-.jpg  
Old 01-27-2022, 06:02 PM

What a great machine! And what a great project! I've actually had the recurring thought of trying something like that, sewing together scraps...if only I had a sewing machine to do it...
Old 01-31-2022, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by JoeJr View Post
What a great machine! And what a great project! I've actually had the recurring thought of trying something like that, sewing together scraps...if only I had a sewing machine to do it...
Yeah...........right.

bkay
Old 01-31-2022, 06:03 AM

Joe that machine is wonderful. I'm glad you your grandmother's machine is being used. I was a teenager when my grandmother died. I often wonder where her treadle ended up.

bkay
Old 01-31-2022, 07:03 AM

The New National was given by my mother to my sister-in-law, who used it in college. She passed it along to me.
I also have a New Home that was Milton Oscar Lewitzke's grandmothers. Mo has since passed. New Home made New National. One is 1914 and the other is 1916. I don't use the New Home so much. I am too tall, so my legs don't fit under to pedal the treadle.
Thanks for your replies!
Joe
Old 01-31-2022, 07:07 AM

Dear bkay, your grandmother's treadle is with my cousin,
SHE STOLE EVERTHING BELONGING TO MY GRANDMOTHER. Including her treadle. I learned to sew on that machine, my DNA is still on it.