Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Is this ‘vintage’ sewing machine worth anything? >
  • Is this ‘vintage’ sewing machine worth anything?

• Is this ‘vintage’ sewing machine worth anything?

Old 01-28-2022, 11:59 AM

Default Is this ‘vintage’ sewing machine worth anything?

I have this ‘vintage’ sewing machine and I am wondering whether it is a good model or not? I don’t know anything about sewing machines and I would like to know if this model is worth anything? Is it really vintage?

it is a MARDIX MODEL 2222.
    I Haven’t even heard of mardix brand before so looking for anyone who knows more

Last edited by Valgeo; 01-28-2022 at 12:03 PM.
    Old 01-28-2022, 12:12 PM

Welcome to the Board. A picture would be helpful, instructions to follow, but your machine is likely a "badged" machine, meaning the name MARDIX may not have much meaning as it respects sewing machines. Depending on it's design, it could be what is called a Singer 15 Clone (search the board and you will find lots of information on these), or a Japanese manufactured zig zag machine with the MARDIX name affixed (search the board for Japanese zig zag machines).

Value, as with beauty, may be in the eye of the beholder. Again, with no pictures but knowing what I've learned from this board and other places, it might be anywhere from $25-$50, depending on condition and your local market; I would not count on selling it to fund retirement.

Here are picture instructions from Ourworkbench:

We like pictures. In order to post pictures on Quilting Board, you will probably need to reduce or compress the picture to a file size that is smaller than 2MB. How to post images can be found at https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...020-01-17-.pdf
    Don't forget to scroll over to the far right to find and click on the "Upload" button.

I have found that only the big red "Reply" button or "Quote" work to give me the paper clip icon to work for adding pictures.
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...p-location.jpg

Some additional info regarding reducing images at post #4 and images for the scroll and upload button can be found at #5 of quilt block ID?

Another way to post pictures can be found at 2021/2022, 2.5” Birthday Swap

Or simply - Make sure pictures are smaller than 2MB
    Click on red "Reply" button
    Click on the paper clip icon
    Click browse - choose picture/s. (only 5 allowed per post)
    Once they show up as being loaded, Scroll over to the right side and click on "Upload"
    After the pictures show up as being attached, you can close that window and go back to the screen to finish posting your post.
    Old 01-28-2022, 03:05 PM

I attached an image for reference
    Attached Thumbnails 0c483f82-6cf8-41bd-96d7-c1ec66506bc4.jpeg  
    Old 01-28-2022, 04:20 PM

I would guess it was a design for Brother or White or a larger name like that, and borrowed by Mardix, looks like White machines I've had, manufactured in Japan, circa late 1960s or likely early 1970s. It's probably all metal, at least the insides, and once cleaned up and oiled would be a fine sewing machine. I'm going to stick with my value estimate above, the lower end.
    Old 01-28-2022, 04:23 PM

Here's another QB post on Mardix machines

I would like help figuring out what machine I have

And here are some generic parts referencing your specific model

https://www.sewingparts.co.uk/machin...adix-2222.html
    Old 01-28-2022, 04:46 PM

And one more picture, which presents a language barrier for me.
    Attached Thumbnails screenshot-3-.png  
    Old 01-28-2022, 04:48 PM

Thank you

i also have the one in the picture below! Do you know anything about it?
    Attached Thumbnails 2ce7b506-00f5-4e28-a9e1-88bab2abf99c.jpeg  
    Old 01-28-2022, 05:26 PM

Looks to be a Singer 128 with a hand crank. If the hand crank itself is an original Singer then by itself it can be worth some money. I've never owned a Singer hand crank, never even seen one in the "wild." The machine is missing the front slide plate. It doesn't appear to be in the greatest condition; cleaned up and serviced I would try to sell it for $25 (unless that's a Singer hand crank).

There is a serial number on a brass plate on the bed in the front right corner. You can look it up here

https://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mac...-database.html

and it will tell you when the number was allocated by Singer, the machine then being built sometime after that. This assumes the machine was manufactured in the USA.
    Old 01-28-2022, 06:47 PM

By the look of it and without being able to tell the actual size, I believe it's a Singer 127 with a hand-crank. The bobbin winder on the 128 is higher up. This is a vibrating shuttle machine. Singer made these from about 1885 to about 1962. Cast iron body, all steel gears and shafts made out of high-carbon steel. No plastic or nylon parts. I believe one and perhaps two bearings were made of brass. Otherwise all steel. One drop of oil in each of the oiling locations ever 10 or so hours of sewing and these machine sew as well today as the day they were made.

All parts are easily available including replacement slide plates.

Reliable and absolutely loved by people who sew. Beautiful sound as it sews, reliably makes perfect stitches, rarely goes out of adjustment and thread jams are both few and far between and cleared within seconds.

Singer considered this to be a "portable". It only weighed about the same amount as a medium sized car as compared with their full-size machines that weigh as much as a large truck.

Last edited by 1.41; 01-28-2022 at 06:49 PM.
    Old 01-28-2022, 07:52 PM

It appears to be a Singer 28 based on the fact that the hinge pin appears to be to the left of the edge of the back slide plate. It has a manual tension release which doesn't have much space below it (the 27 has more space below it) and also the low bobbin winder - which both indicate either a 27 or a 28 not a 127 or 128.

I'm guessing that the back inspection plate is probably a pear shape rather than a circle shape.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

Could we get a better picture of the badge on the black machine (to which this is in response to)? The more I look at it the more something isn't quite what I think it should be.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 01-28-2022 at 08:11 PM.