Aunt Daisy's Quilt Along

Old 02-25-2022, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

How about we use this thread to share our progress and pictures? I joined the Facebook group but would also like to work with the QB folks who are making this.

I was looking at the picture of the quilt and noticed you could also do the blocks with geese as singles rather than doubled. I might do mine that way.

Here’s what I have so far. I actually have finished my geese for a full size. I dread the tri-rec blocks… they are my nemesis!
Attached Thumbnails 90fa09c5-a9e6-41cc-a045-dcd9c27f8818.jpeg  
Old 03-02-2022, 03:17 PM

yea! time for another round. I guess she calls them quarter square triangle blocks, but they look the same as hourglass to me. I've already got all my triangles cut, as that is the way I prefer to make them, so I can jump right in to sewing.
Old 03-02-2022, 05:42 PM
Power Poster

I won't be able to work with my charm squares for this clue, so I'm planning on cutting some 5.5" squares to use instead. At least there aren't many of these.

I know my head will explode when it comes time to do the tri-recs! I just can't get them right, and there are so many of them in this quilt.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:02 AM

I'll see about posting the way I do tri-recs. I do have the rulers and would not want to do without them.

I got all the hourglass blocks sewn and started trimming, then I had to go to work. I looked at the posted directions and had a "what the . . . " so I gave that up and sewed them they way I normally do. And since I'm gong scrappy, methods that are designed to make more than one at a time aren't going to work for me anyway.
Old 03-03-2022, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I'll see about posting the way I do tri-recs. I do have the rulers and would not want to do without them.

I got all the hourglass blocks sewn and started trimming, then I had to go to work. I looked at the posted directions and had a "what the . . . " so I gave that up and sewed them they way I normally do. And since I'm gong scrappy, methods that are designed to make more than one at a time aren't going to work for me anyway.
Macybaby, what's your method for making hourglasses?
Old 03-03-2022, 12:31 PM

I've just had a chance to check into this. I'm continually amazed at the generosity of quilters to share their ideas and expertise. I cannot sew along, but will be following this thread and the Facebook page to see the results, and will hope to make the quilt someday.

Could someone explain where I would find the number of each kind of unit to make for each size quilt?

Vanessa, I really enjoyed your intro to the quilt. I wish I could be more like your Aunt Daisy!
Old 03-04-2022, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

Hi joe'smom! That info is given in each part's instructions.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:17 AM

here is how I make hourglass. I use my easy angle and companion angle (I believe they came as a set) . The main thing with these rulers is they have the dog ears already cut off, and that is important for lining up on the WOF so the triangles are correct. I use these rulers whenever I am cutting triangles.

I started out by using my 4.5" square and figuring out what size the triangles need to be. I will draw out a scale block to measure if needed too. Sometimes I'll use EQ8, but it always figures measures before cutting off the ears. When I'm using that, I'll draw were a triangle needs to be so it's a square/rectangle, then I'll get exact measures without ears, which is what I need.

For this pattern, I determined that I need to use either 2.5" strips, or 3.5" strips (for no bias edge on outside). The first picture shows how the rulers get laid out on WOF - and the important part is where the narrow end is. Normally I'll cut WOF a bit wider (1/8 to 1/4) so I can trim down. After you cut the first piece, you flip the ruler to line up with the new leading edge to cut the next piece.

One more thing to add, if you are not doing scrappy, you can cut your light/dark WOF and put them face together, and then cut the triangles, Then they are already paired up for sewing. I was going scrappy so didn't do that.

The second pic shows the two cut piece, The first has the bias edge on the long side, and for Hourglass, that will end up on the outside edge, so if you don't want that, make sure to cut them the other way, like the second so the bias are now on the edges that will be sewn together.

The third pic shows them sewing along the short edge and the fourth shows them pressed to the dark, and how they are paired up for last seam. I do spin my seams sewing this way.

Fifth pic shows them sewn and ready to be trimmed. if you don't have a 4.5" ruler, use a larger one and line cut two edges at a time, with the corners lined up at the 4.5" mark. I'm not a big fan of cutting all four sides at a time, so more often I will use a bigger square, cut two sides and then flip the block and cut the other two sides. Especially with smaller stuff where the ruler is hard to hold in place.
Attached Thumbnails .jpg   b.jpg   c.jpg   d.jpg   e.jpg  

Last edited by Macybaby; 03-05-2022 at 04:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2022, 04:19 AM

Here is my set of hourglass blocks, ready for next month.

Attached Thumbnails g.jpg  
Old 03-06-2022, 09:37 PM
Power Poster

Cathy, thank you for that wonderful tutorial on how you do hourglasses.

I have finished my hourglass blocks...YAY! Ready for next month's part.
Attached Thumbnails img_1951.jpg