Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
What a difference this made🥰 >

What a difference this made🥰

What a difference this made🥰

Old 09-19-2022, 02:59 AM

I change blades so often it's not even funny, or so it seems. My old blades and dull needles are dropped into an old empty Kraft Parmesan cheese container and stored on my cutting table until it's full. I get a new container and start all over again.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:45 AM

I also use a small jar. Takes a long time for it to get full.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

I change blades at the first skip.. I use to save them and never once used an old blade for anything. Now the used blade goes in the trash. I put it between a strip of clear packing tape.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
''Totally agree .... dates really tell us nothing, as to when we need to change a blade. Old worn cutting mats can impede the "cut like butter" ability. Just got a new cutting mat and oh what a difference it makes to the ease of cutting and how long my blades will now last!

Like Tartan, I keep a rotary cutter with an old blade and marked as such. Works great for paper and such.

Used blades, pins, needles all go into a piggy bank that just happened to have the right slot size for the blades to go through. It'll be a long time before it will need emptying. Only wish I had put a date on as to when I started it, just for curiosity's sake!
How will you get them out of the piggy bank? Or, are you going to throw it out?
Old 09-21-2022, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
One of my worst habits is not changing blades often enough. A new blade is so nice!
I feel this way about a new toothbrush, new washcloths, new bras, new kitchen sponges and white flour sack towels, and new windshield wipers. I put the new whatever on and think "Ahhhh this is SO much better, why did I wait so long??" 😆
Old 09-21-2022, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I put my old blades in the plastic container the new ones came in - but I have " used" written on the top and bottom of the container.
I do the same thing. We can take household sharps to the environmental center in our county to dispose of them.

Leslie
Old 09-28-2022, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It will cut like butter….until you hit your first pin. I have an old rotary cutter that I keep old blades for, for cutting paper and card stock.
I love this idea and plan to use it today. I have an old rotary cutter and some old blades that I didn't know what to do with. Thank you!