Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Curious About Care Instructions >

Curious About Care Instructions

Curious About Care Instructions

Old 03-07-2022, 02:50 PM

Default Curious About Care Instructions

I'm thinking of having "quilt care instructions" printed on satin/100% polyester to sew onto the back of the quilts that I make.

Have any of you already done this? I would really appreciate your thoughts and the thoughts of other quilters who are concerned about the care of the quilts they give away. Thank you!
Old 03-07-2022, 03:38 PM

I haven't done this, but I think it's a great idea. I'll bet the person receiving the quilt would appreciate instructions on how to care for it.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:17 PM

I always just wash my quilt before gifting it and throw it in the dryer with the usual settings. I usually just make bed quilts. I then tell the person I have given it to that I already have washed and dried it on normal settings, and they are free to wash and dry it. I do want my quilts to be used. I have made a few wall hangings and hanging quilts and on those I put in a hanging sleeve and caution against washing them in the usual manner. I made one quilt that was intended as a bed quilt but the person deemed it too special and it just sits in a closet. So, I made them more quilts but made sure they were plain ugly ones so they would use them!
Old 03-08-2022, 04:24 AM

I created my own in Word and had them printed through Spoonflower. I created two different labels with different care instructions and just add them to the quilt when I put on the binding.
Attached Thumbnails 5db88d11-7906-4d11-8c3f-3904a7c26045.jpeg   ab050dad-1cdd-45f7-a720-4a431fcac889.jpeg   be4d1670-6371-4936-90fd-e380c33fc51e.jpeg  
Old 03-08-2022, 04:28 AM

Thanks. This sounds ,ike a good plan. I am always scrambling as I put the binding on.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:58 AM

The sewn-in label is such a great idea. I always include a printed sheet with care instructions when I give the quilt, but those are sure to be lost and forgotten. I do give quilts to be enjoyed, with some of heirloom quality and others leaning a little more the utility side. The care instructions are for those wishing to preserve the quilt for the longest time, but I tell them it's theirs to do with as they choose. If they want to lie on it while they change the oil, it's up to them. (But maybe don't tell me about that.) Your labels have great basic information!
Old 03-08-2022, 07:22 AM
Banned

I just tell people to machine wash and dry as they do anything else and to love it and use it until it's all used up!
Old 03-08-2022, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Cindi- those labels are really cute.
I don't but I always include a note or tell them how to clean the quilt.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:55 AM

I write a little note stating the size and instructions for washing it. I prewash so don't wash again.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:13 AM

Thank all of you who answered my post. I noticed, Cindi, that one of your labels says not to dry clean. I'm not familiar with the reasons for not dry cleaning.

The Memory Quilt that I am making will be hung and the photos, which have been printed by Spoonflower, This quilt is to be passed on the a grandson and I'm concerned that there will be no instructions passed on to him. I normally just add a card but cards may be misplaced or thrown away.I believed it could be dry cleaned. Please give me more information regarding "Dry Cleanin".