Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Disappearing Design wall Fabric >

Disappearing Design wall Fabric

Disappearing Design wall Fabric

Old 03-15-2022, 10:47 AM

Default Disappearing Design wall Fabric

Has anyone been able to find 6 oz flannel backed/brushed canvas to make their disappearing roll up design wall? I believe it is the material used for some of the retail design walls? I知 looking for something stronger than just hanging a piece of flannel. I want to be able to roll it up with blocks on it, so need a backing that will allow for this. Vinyl table clothes are too thin and fragile I believe. I知 trying that idea right now. Don稚 like the results. I have the roller installed and am now just trying to find a fabric that will give me the results I知 looking for. Thanks for your Healy!
Old 03-15-2022, 12:08 PM

I found that Warm & Natural was the best, stickiest surface for design walls. I tried flannel, fleece, fleece-backed tablecloths, and even other types of batting. W&N was by far the best, I can stick whole rows and even tops up there with no pins, and it resists the happiest thump-thumps of the tail-wagger. 🐶
Old 03-15-2022, 12:21 PM

Peckish, are you saying that Warm & Natural batting is what you use? I'm also planning a design wall like aforristall, but was thinking of using a heavier felt.

Does it matter which side of the Warm & Natural you use to stick the blocks to?
Old 03-15-2022, 12:23 PM

aforristall, what type of roller did you find to use? I have space, but it would be over a closet with double wall closet doors.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by berrynice View Post
Peckish, are you saying that Warm & Natural batting is what you use?
Does it matter which side of the Warm & Natural you use to stick the blocks to?
Yes I use W&N, and no it doesn't seem to matter what side. I didn't really pay attention to the sides, I just put the blocks up there and everything sticks. Without pins! 😁
Old 03-15-2022, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I found that Warm & Natural was the best, stickiest surface for design walls. I tried flannel, fleece, fleece-backed tablecloths, and even other types of batting. W&N was by far the best, I can stick whole rows and even tops up there with no pins, and it resists the happiest thump-thumps of the tail-wagger. 🐶
How do you attach your batting onto the wall. Does it naturally adhere to the wall or is it attached in some way? I love the idea since I use Warm & Natural in all of my quilts.
Old 03-15-2022, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore View Post
How do you attach your batting onto the wall. Does it naturally adhere to the wall or is it attached in some way? I love the idea since I use Warm & Natural in all of my quilts.
No, I pinned it with clear push pins.
Old 03-15-2022, 05:22 PM

Thank you! I think I'll find a permanent wall for it too, instead of how I was first going to make one over a closet doorway. This sounds so much better.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:11 AM

Using some of the suggestions already given, you could maybe buy the heavy fabric you want (lightweight canvas, duck cloth, home dec) in the home dec section of your local fabric store or online, make a pocket along the bottom edge for a dowel rod to give it some weight, then sew a piece of Warm & Natural batting to the back so that side would be facing out when unrolled. I think I might sew a few parallel lines of quilting so the batting doesn't stretch over time. Just a thought!
Old 03-16-2022, 10:52 AM

That sounds interesting. That way might be a stronger way to attach it to the wall as well and give the batting some stabilization. I'm thinking a wall hanging board like you would use to mount a quilt to a wall. And the dowel in the bottom will give it some weight as well, so when you would move the pieces of fabric on it, it wouldn't be apt to move as much. thanks.