Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
glue basting >

glue basting

glue basting

Old 03-17-2022, 05:53 AM

Question glue basting

hello everyone, I have a question, how many of you use glue to baste you quilts? I have used the spray glue and it seens like it gives me a headache so was just wondering about the glue, I have seen many videos on school glue do you water it down thank you love this board so many helpful folks on here
Old 03-17-2022, 06:00 AM

I've used 505 spray many times and like it so much better than June Tailor's spray. That one shoots out such a mist you start coughing right away and it gets onto my table more than 505 and on my floor! sticks but goodness. my son bought the Tailor one because he couldn't find 505. so if you must spray, get that one. use like hair spray, moving across and then down and across and so on. I would love to do this outside but can't so for now, i'm thinking of pinning again. I'm not happy with that thought so time will tell on what i end up doing. well vented place to do this would be nice.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:07 AM

Default Glue basting

Originally Posted by sophia View Post
hello everyone, I have a question, how many of you use glue to baste you quilts? I have used the spray glue and it seens like it gives me a headache so was just wondering about the glue, I have seen many videos on school glue do you water it down thank you love this board so many helpful folks on here
I have done the school glue basting and it works OK, but you will need to wash the quilt as bugs love the glue. I think the glue is made out of flour of something like that. I have used 505 spray, but you need to be outside and I get a large box, put the item I am spraying in it, them move it a little more and spray. I am still an old pinner. I have found I do much better on larger quilts if I pin them. Table runner and small quilts are OK to spray or glue.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:24 AM

there is a fusible batting too. you iron it onto the back or front and then put the other side on and iron that one on. washes out after quilted. I had bad luck recently though with Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 which is my main batting. i got fusible that did not fuse well. It was old or made poorly, who knows? Covid plays havoc on all our purchases.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:27 AM

I switched to Heat and Bond spray, it's in a purple and white can. The smell doesn't bother me as much as other sprays. I have glue basted and like that method. Only use the Elmer's with the chalkboard on the label that says fully washable. They have many kinds of Elmer's not all work. I watered down the glue almost 50/50 and used sparingly. I had difficulty waiting for it to fully dry but that is my impatience. I have a friend who plastered her quilt with it and ruined it. So don't plaster it with glue. After I used it, I patted down any thick globs of glue, the dampness will show thru but it dries clear. It's a good method and it works, I just prefer spray and pin.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:43 AM

If I don’t need to pre-mark my quilt design with a water soluble marking pen, I am now using home made spray baste. The recipe is here: https://www.stringandstory.com/blog/...de-spray-baste

The ingredients are flour, salt, water and alcohol. I use vodka, so no smell. It does need to dry overnight.
Old 03-17-2022, 08:02 AM

SuzSLO - thanks for the share of home made spray baste. I am leery of using the prepared spray baste because it sticks to my fingers. I had a friend who did quilting for others and she couldn't always spray out doors. She sprayed hundreds of quilts inside her house and the spray baste got into her lungs and severely affected her breathing. I normally pin large quilts but I will use this recipe for my small projects.
Old 03-17-2022, 09:25 AM

Thumbs up

I absolutely LOVE glue basting! Since I learned about this method it is my go-to way to baste on everything except quilts that I plan to hand quilt. As others have mentioned, it must be the Elmers ***washable*** school glue. Sometimes the wetness of the glue will make dye in the fabrics bleed and run, but I have found this comes out completely when I wash the quilt after quilting and binding, using a color catcher to pick up any excess dye. I dilute the glue 50/50 with water, stir it with a whisk, then paint it on between the top and the batting, and between the backing and the batting. You will find lots of great tutorials online showing how to do this. I don't iron mine dry as some do, but lay it out on the floor in an out-of-the-way place and give it at least a couple days to dry, flipping it over halfway through the drying time. While it dries I just turn my attention to another quilt, piecing, cutting, or whatever needs to be done.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:47 AM

I use the Sulky KK2000 spray basting glue. I really like it. It barely smells and I like that it is non-toxic, though safety me, I wear a mask when using it indoors, don't want to inhale the sticky.

I lightly spray my batting, put on the back and then turn it over and lightly spray that side of the batting and put on the front. I haven't had any issues with it coming loose. And when you first do it, it is easy to readjust the fabric is you need to.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:56 PM

Thank You everyone for the great tips and the recipe . as now I am going to make the glue and give it a try again such a great bunch of folks on here