Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Fresh Eggs >

Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs

Old 04-14-2022, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
It's actually not the cholesterol in food that affects your blood cholesterol, so much as the saturated fat. I eat very little meat so I feel OK about eating an egg or two every other day. Quote from Mayo Clinic - "Most healthy people can eat up to seven eggs a week without increasing their risk of heart disease. Some studies have shown that this level of egg consumption might even help prevent certain types of stroke and a serious eye condition called macular degeneration that can lead to blindness"

I've heard the same. Plus cholesterol levels are somewhat a function of your own metabolism and your genetics and not always what you eat. I know this is contrary to what your doctor is probably telling you, but there are studies linking having your cholesterol too low to low brain function, as in developing dementia and alzheimers. Not that you should have very high cholesterol but keeping it too low may be bad in other ways.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:18 AM

Thanks for all the responses. We had 16 chicks hatch yesterday! Hubby cares for the animals around here, and he says that we don't need to preserve the eggs because they lay all year in our climate. We give them away to friends and family. It is mandatory for visitors to leave with eggs, lol, and our mail carrier greatly appreciates them. I searched impossible pie but came up empty. I was mainly looking for recipes to change it up around here.
Old 04-15-2022, 03:48 AM
Power Poster

Impossible pie recipes: ( we like the cheeseburger pie)

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...sy-pie-recipes
Old 04-15-2022, 09:10 AM

Does anyone use other things for substitutes for eggs? What have been your success?
Old 04-15-2022, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Real mayonnaise in baked goods instead of regular eggs works for me. I always have mayonnaise in the pantry.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by aashley333 View Post
Thanks for all the responses. We had 16 chicks hatch yesterday! Hubby cares for the animals around here, and he says that we don't need to preserve the eggs because they lay all year in our climate. We give them away to friends and family. It is mandatory for visitors to leave with eggs, lol, and our mail carrier greatly appreciates them. I searched impossible pie but came up empty. I was mainly looking for recipes to change it up around here.
Be careful. One of my friends has about 100 chickens and she normally lets them go outside but there is an alert out here because Bird Flu is present. So she has to keep her chickens inside their barn and be careful about changing shoes etc when she goes in to collect eggs. No visitors allowed in the hen house at this point. She is lucky that they also used to have about 100 milking cows so has plenty of room inside for the hens.
Old 04-15-2022, 06:31 PM

I posted about freezing the eggs recently. When we had our chickens, I was giving away my eggs to co-workers on a weekly basis & they loved them. It's really hard to go from fresh eggs to store bought ones. The store bought ones yellow is so pale & the shells are so thin & they don't have much taste (sort of like fresh tomatoes & store bought tomatoes).
Does anyone else out there have snake problems like we had when we were keeping our chickens? What did you do to avoid the snakes eating the eggs? We put out the ceramic eggs but that only took care of a few snakes. I think once they got wind that they were fake, they passed the word around & left the ceramics alone.
Old 04-16-2022, 05:28 AM
Banned

I have a question for all you chicken people — Is it possible to peel a hard boiled egg made from fresh eggs? Do you have any tricks?
Old 04-16-2022, 08:20 AM

I have heard that any egg cooked in a insta-pot is really easy to peel so if you have one of those, try it.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:25 AM

Purple Pansies and Sewingpup: I currently have 5 chickens . I cook fresh eggs in an Instant Pot and they do peel easily. Even after a few days in the refrigerator, they still peel easily. Now every once in a while I get an egg that won't peel without ripping the white but I figure it must just be a "fluke" as it doesn't happen often. LOL Fresh eggs from a home flock have much harder shells than those we get in the store, and I think that has something to do with how they peel.
My method: 1 cup water in bottom of pot, use basket or rack and place any number of eggs up to 2 dozen in the pot, cook on high for 5 minutes, then 5 minutes "cool down", release steam, immediately put eggs in bowl of ice water for about 5 to 10 min. and they are ready to go. My eggs vary in size from medium to ex large and they are all cooked perfect.