Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How scrappy do you get? >

How scrappy do you get?

How scrappy do you get?

Old 04-18-2022, 10:49 AM

I've been using medium and dark 2" squares as leaders and enders with the goal of someday finishing "Confetti", an Augusta Cole pattern: https://augustacolequilting.com/bed-sized-quilts
Old 04-20-2022, 03:24 AM

Watson, LOVE the batik quilt! Was it inspired with a pattern or just self created? I have a shoe box full of odds and ends of batiks that need to be put to use. Batiks all seem to play well in scrappy quilts..
Old 04-20-2022, 02:01 PM

When I make a scrappy quilt, anything goes. I am using scraps. I sort my scraps into lights, mediums and darks and go from there. I use anything. Scrap quilts are my kids' favorites. They are the ones that are loved to death. The memories of other projects are in the scraps. I keep an eye out for scrappy patterns. I am currently working on Square Dancing with the Stars by Darlene Deon Designs. It's a great pattern.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:07 AM

Remember this thread? https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...e-t135936.html Whenever I need inspiration, I revisit it. I have never seen so many different scrappy quilts in one place.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Remember this thread? https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...e-t135936.html Whenever I need inspiration, I revisit it. I have never seen so many different scrappy quilts in one place.
I love the scrappy quilt show! So much inspiration! And unlike Pinterest, you can usually get the name of the quilt pattern and even where to purchase it.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:46 PM

I have made 4 baby quilts, a double bed quilt and an extra large king-size quilt along with its backing out of scraps. I have crocheted baskets and rugs out of narrow scraps and I even made a shower curtain and valance and I am still drowning in scraps. I use whatever is at hand and even if 2 end up next to each other it doesn't matter in the big scheme of things. I love the scrappy look and my next project is a log cabin made of scraps. Just have fun with your scraps from 10" to 1" you can always make something out of them.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:55 PM

And if you want really really scrappy, AngeliaNR has a wonderful tutorial here Basic Instructions for Boxes of Strings

I actually 'stole' from the dog bed scrap bin and made so many strip and string scrap tops for our community quilts, that I got a guild award--as a 'Strip Teaser" !!
Old 04-23-2022, 04:31 AM

I've just started on a true scrap quilt - I went through my "scraps" and cut the bigger stuff into pieces, down to 2.5" squares. Now I'm randomly sewing what was left together. I grab out a handful and start matching up edges and sewing them together. Once I get a bunch sewn, I'll press and trim so I have straight edge, and then start sewing the already sewing pieces together. Making some more square and some longer, I just keep that up until I've got big enough pieces I can cut 9" square out of.

I love making scrappy quilts, where i use an assortment of fabric. but the pieces are specific sizes. I try not to sew the same fabric together, but find that even if I am careful at the block level, once I sew all the blocks together I will end up with the same fabric touching somewhere (if I don't have sashing) so I don't worry about that.
Old 05-15-2022, 11:28 AM

Check out the Trash Quilt on YouTube. It's rather fun. Been doing one and up to 5 whole blocks now.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:36 PM

I go really scrappy. Put my scraps in a box, reach in and grab two and sew them together. They may not look great in pairs but when you join everything together, I find it reaches my happy place.