Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with Janome Needles >

Need help with Janome Needles

Need help with Janome Needles

Old 05-04-2022, 08:22 AM

Default Need help with Janome Needles

I recently purchased a Janome 1600P. It came with an assortment of HLx5 Organ needles. After several hours of use, the thread started shredding, so I figured it was time to change the needle. I can't tell the needles apart that came in the assortment. So I have several questions:
Do you HAVE to use Organ or Janome brand needles? Can I use Schmetz? I already have a bunch of those that I use with my Bernina. All of you that use a Janome 1600P, what are your experiences with using different brands, types, or sizes of needles for piecing and free motion quilting with this machine? What about the needle threader? Is it fussy depending on what type of needle you use?
Old 05-04-2022, 09:15 AM

I have a Janome 6600 that sews with anything although I am pretty exclusive with Organ needles. I also have a Janome Horizon that didn't like the Organ needles so I use blue-tip needles and blue bobbins and it works fine. Actually, when I say blue-tip, only size 11 are blue. The other sizes are other colours. My LQS is owned by a man in his 80's who has been working with sewing machines for his whole life. He tells me that Janomes like Organ needles which is probably why your machine came with them. Get some advice from the shop where you bought your machine.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by EphrataQuilter View Post
I recently purchased a Janome 1600P. It came with an assortment of HLx5 Organ needles. After several hours of use, the thread started shredding, so I figured it was time to change the needle. I can't tell the needles apart that came in the assortment. So I have several questions:
Do you HAVE to use Organ or Janome brand needles? Can I use Schmetz? I already have a bunch of those that I use with my Bernina. All of you that use a Janome 1600P, what are your experiences with using different brands, types, or sizes of needles for piecing and free motion quilting with this machine? What about the needle threader? Is it fussy depending on what type of needle you use?
I have the Janome 1600p. I use different size needles that correspond to the size of thread I’m using. For fmq I use the purple tip needles with the blue dot bobbin case and Isocord thread. I have used a schmetz 90/14 also for fmq and it works fine. When I piece with 100 wt thread I use a size 70/11 needle of whatever brand I have.
Old 05-04-2022, 10:35 AM

I have a Janome and use schmetz needles. Any size I need according to what I am sewing at the time
Old 05-04-2022, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I have a Janome and use schmetz needles. Any size I need according to what I am sewing at the time
Ditto on my Janome 8900 Memory Craft.
Old 05-04-2022, 01:40 PM

I usually use Organ 80/12 for piecing but I've used everything from 60/7 up to a vinyl needle on it (The threader does not like vinyl needles.) and my 6500 has been fine.

Watson
Old 05-04-2022, 03:23 PM

I use organ needles, have for many years on my Janome machines. I've owned 3, and currently own a 9450. I also find that Janome machines like superior titanium needles too.
Old 05-04-2022, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
I have the Janome 1600p. I use different size needles that correspond to the size of thread I’m using.
I used to have a Janome 1600, and I did the same. I use the needle that is appropriate for the thread. A finer thread such as a 60 wt Bottom Line will work with a smaller needle with a smaller eye. A thicker thread such as 40 wt King Tut works better with a larger needle and larger eye, such as a topstitch.
Old 05-06-2022, 03:43 AM

Machine needles made today are meant for use in any machine. I've used Singer, Schmetz, Organ and some off brand in my Pfaff and in my FW without issue. Do use a needle size that corresponds to your thread size/type though. That should help with the shredding.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:01 AM
Power Poster

Schmetz works fine in all three of my Janome's. Different sizes for different threads.