Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have Machine, Will Travel >

Have Machine, Will Travel

Have Machine, Will Travel

Old 05-07-2022, 04:54 PM

Location: NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
Default Have Machine, Will Travel

I am probably showing my age with that play on words!
As I posted a few days ago, I bought a Bernina 590. I plan to take it to classes and such but need a way to transport it and the embroidery module. I know there are beautiful cases sold by Bernina but frankly those are not in the budget right now. How do you transport your machines? All suggestions are welcomed.
Old 05-07-2022, 05:13 PM

Check your machine measurements & try Amazon. There are many sizes on there. You might even find something that will work at a thrift or discount store.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:21 PM

Joanne’s Fabric sells wheeled cases. If not on sale you can use 40% or sometimes 50% coupon.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:29 PM

I first used an old Pfaff rolling case I had bought years ago because it was on a good sale! I didn't have a Pfaff but used it for my Viking and then my Bernina 630 and now I am planning on using it for my Bernina Red machine as I think I could fit everything I need in it (I am getting to the age where I take the smallest machine and leave the big guys at home, I really like the zoom classes during covid because I didn't have to lug my new machine to the class). OK, now I did snag those Bernina cases for my Bernina 590 and the embroidery case when they were on sale for 50% off. Yep, they were still pricey but much better than the usual price. You may see a pattern here; I buy whatever rolling case happens to be on sale whether or not it is the brand I have. So, keep an eye on those sales. If you have to, put it in the cardboard packing box. I hear some folks wish they had done that as at least one person I heard just stuck it in the backseat and it tipped over and some of the knobs broke.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:04 AM

I just bought one last week off amazon. this is what I got.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GQXRD27...t_details&th=1

However, as I was looking, I didn't see anything much larger than this, and if you need the extra space if your embroidery machine is larger, than you may be obligated to get your brand specific type. unless the module comes off, then you could get a separate tote for that.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GPQ3JG3...t_details&th=1
Old 05-08-2022, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

I have a rolling luggage tote for my travel machine. It came with several other cases from Joann’s with a 50% coupon. I put all my small tools in the smaller cases and the handles of the small cases go over the handle that I use to roll the big case with.
Old 05-08-2022, 10:04 AM

I use a carry-on suitcase for my Janome Jem. . I kept the styrofoam packaging that the machine was packed in. I ended up using only the front piece (the piece that the face of the machine fits into) I cut channels for the pull up suitcase handle, so that it nestles in and can be secured with the suitcase's inner straps. My Jem has traveled on an airplane several times and I love that it conforms with airline carry-on regulations.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:47 AM

I bought mine at Harbor Freight. It's really a rolling tool carrier but works well with my machine-JANONE 6600 with plenty of room for accessories. I think I paid $25 but as we all know, prices on everything have gone up.
Old 05-15-2022, 01:46 PM

I have a luggage carrier that dates back before they put wheels on luggage. I put my sewing machine on there and then I use bungee cords to keep it in place. Look in thrift stores for something similar.