Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jog my memory please >

Jog my memory please

Jog my memory please

Old 05-10-2022, 04:32 AM

Default Jog my memory please

I guess this could be googled this but prefer the answers here. My Janome 1600P is the machine I use for quilting. For a while now, it's given a few extra long stitches, so it's skipping. Drives me crazy. Tension is set on #5. Do I adjust
the tension dial up to a 6 or 7 or go the opposite way to a 4 or a 3? I've brushed out the tension dial and keep the dirt and dust out of the bobbin area,and keep it oiled. Still it does this skipping thing. Don't want to mess with it until I get an answer, and yes it would help if I could locate my manual, but it seems to be missing. Help!!
Old 05-10-2022, 04:59 AM

I'm not sure if it is the correct machine, but the manual I found indicates that skipped stitches (on page 44 of the pdf) have something to do with the needle. I also downloaded a manual from manualslib.com but when search for "skip" the only result was at the beginning or end of seam.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 05-10-2022 at 05:05 AM.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:45 AM

Have you changed your needle? My machine was skipping and my friend looked at me and said change the needle. I didn’t even think of that. Kind of like changing a rotary cutter blade.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:47 AM

I was just going to mention the needle. Put a new one in and make sure it matches your thread weight.
Old 05-10-2022, 10:39 AM

Skipped stitches have nothing to do with the tension. If you're quilting, you definitely need a larger needle such as a 16 or 18. Needles flex when you're pushing/pulling a quilt through the machine, a larger needle will resist flex. If you're sewing, it's possible your needle is old and dull. As others have stated, try a new needle.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:44 AM

I have a 1600 p and my tension has only been set at 3. it sews a prefect straight stitch. I only use polyester thread in
mine and it sews prefect.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:54 AM

Clean out the bobbin area. Those little dust bunnies could be causing you trouble...ask me how I know....
Old 05-12-2022, 05:13 AM

Thank you ladies. I'm going to play around with my machines this afternoon after getting some flowers planted. Will try the suggested size 16 and will try my usual size 14 with a lower number on the tension dial.
Old 05-15-2022, 02:12 PM

I would do as suggested, inserting a new needle and be sure to rethread the upper thread, making sure all is correct...tension discs, etc. If thread has somehow jumped from a guide or no longer in the tension discs, things can go bad!