Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina 475QE help! >

Bernina 475QE help!

Bernina 475QE help!

Old 06-23-2020, 02:44 PM

Question Bernina 475QE help!

I purchased a Bernina 475QE last August and have such a love/hate relationship with it. The features it has are amazing, but the machine itself I do not get along with. It spent 3 months with my mechanic as the thread cutter stopped working (it made an awful clunky sound and wouldn’t cut the thread) and the knee lift had also broken. Fast forward to now, 3 months later and the thread cutter has stopped working again. It also keeps holding on to the thread when sewing, almost like it’s getting caught on something underneath in the bobbin area.
I run my own business and the machine is used daily, a lot. Ideally I would have an industrial machine but I just can’t house it in my workshop. I also own a 1005 which I’ve had for 32 years and absolutely love, along with 2 Bernina L450 overlock/sergers. And I’ve previously had a 1090 but the motherboard went last August (due to age), which is why I ended up buying the 475 in the first place.
My question is, have I been sold a faulty machine as all other Berninas I’ve owned are fine, or is it a common occurrence with the newer models? I’m looking to change machines (wanting to stick with bernina) but not sure which model to go for. Any advice greatly appreciated 😊

Last edited by hannah996; 06-23-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:08 PM

Personally speaking, for as much as Bernina's cost, I would call your new machine a lemon and tell the dealer that you want a different machine.
Old 06-23-2020, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
Personally speaking, for as much as Bernina's cost, I would call your new machine a lemon and tell the dealer that you want a different machine.
I agree. I'm on my third Bernina and have never had a bit of trouble with any of them. The dealer should replace your machine.

Old 06-23-2020, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

It does sound like you may have a lemon. I bought a 770QE last year and love it. I also have a 150QE (for 20 years now) and never had a problem with it.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
It does sound like you may have a lemon. I bought a 770QE last year and love it. I also have a 150QE (for 20 years now) and never had a problem with it.

that’s great thankyou, I’d hate to buy anything but a bernina so this is good to know! Just seems I got a bad one this time!
Old 06-24-2020, 09:05 AM

I have been sewing for over 40 years, and I have always been a Pfaffer, until they got sold out about 15 years ago, now I am a die hard Bernina fan. I am amazed at their quality! I bought the B770 Quilters Edition, and it is without a doubt the best machine that I have ever owned. I would highly recommend it. It does do embroidery, so it might not be the machine for you, but I truly love this machine
Old 06-24-2020, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ladywingnut View Post
I have been sewing for over 40 years, and I have always been a Pfaffer, until they got sold out about 15 years ago, now I am a die hard Bernina fan. I am amazed at their quality! I bought the B770 Quilters Edition, and it is without a doubt the best machine that I have ever owned. I would highly recommend it. It does do embroidery, so it might not be the machine for you, but I truly love this machine

Thankyou. This does make me much more confident to go with another Bernina again. I’m looking at a 5 series as the 7 series is out of my budget. I had no confidence in the 475QE as it had so many issues in such a short space of time, I love my trusty 1005 (and my 1090 until it stopped working, the parts just weren’t available to repair in it the UK )
Old 06-24-2020, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
it would seem that way, it’s such a shame as it’s made me really lose confidence in the newer models. Although, after hearing that others do love them, I’m feeling hopeful that another new one would not cause me the same trouble.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
I have contacted my dealer and bernina to try and sort this out, I definitely think that the machine is faulty after hearing that so many others have no trouble.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Hannah, my 770 is w/o the embroidery because I didn't want it. It can be added though, if I change my mind. Good luck to you! Let us know how it goes