Survey #1 says... >

Survey #1 says...

Survey #1 says...

Old 05-10-2022, 12:04 PM

Default Survey #1 says...

When do you square up your blocks?
  1. After sewing all the blocks.
  2. After each block.
  3. Whenever the spirt moves me and I can find my cutter and ruler.
  4. Never! My sewing is perfect!

Last edited by Julienm1; 05-10-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:46 PM

I square up after each block and or each segment of a block.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:51 PM

1. Usually after all/most of the blocks. With that said ~ I'll double check everything after the first block - if all is well, proceed from there & square everything up at the end.
=)
Donna Mc
Old 05-10-2022, 01:26 PM

One of the benefits of making a Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt as a new quilter (I did this a few years ago) is that I learned how everything really starts with accurate measuring & cutting of your fabric. She also emphasizes a consistent 1/4" stitch - which is often a challenge. Even with the best preparation I still square-up blocks as I go. Some are intentionally cut over-sized necessitating a trim/square. Regardless, I almost always trim/square even the simplest of blocks. It makes everything come together so nicely in the end.

Old 05-10-2022, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Generally speaking, my blocks end up fairly close to what I intend them to be.

I do square up HST's after I make each HST unit.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:40 PM

I make 3-4 of the blocks, then measure them. If they are good, I figure I got it and just keep going. I really don't check all my units after those first ones especially the Bonnie Hunter mysteries as there are so many of them. I will work on my 1/4 seam with each new sewing machine I get and then I will not measure so often. I do have an accuquilt and that really helps with my accuracy and when I do cut, I make sure the fabric is underneath the entire cutting line, I use a sharp cutter and any fabric I am suspect of I may wash and press first as I have discovered using an iron will cause some fabrics to shrink. (I do press all my fabric before cutting). It is bad for accuracy if one fabric in the block gets smaller when pressed. I like to use a walking foot when working with biased edges or long seams. I have figured out where that quarter inch is on my walking foot too. Do I have all perfect points and intersections? Nope, but I am improving on the percentage that are pretty close. I do not make show quilts and never will. My love is in making quilts use and cuddle with.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:00 PM

I sporadically measure all the segments of the block. After I make the first block, I measure it and if it is within 1/4" of the desired size I make the rest. Then when I am done I will measure and square them up then.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:01 PM

I square up units (HSTs, etc.) in groups of 10 or 20 as I press them. If I'm constructing blocks in assembly line fashion, I square up when all the blocks are put together. If I'm making unique blocks (as with a sampler), I square up each one as it is finished.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Generally speaking, my blocks end up fairly close to what I intend them to be.

I do square up HST's after I make each HST unit.
Same here.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:29 PM

I square up when the pattern asks, or I square up when all the blocks are completed. I usually do each step for every block at the same time, chain piecing. So, my blocks are pretty much completed at the same time.