Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about when you sell a machine.... >

Question about when you sell a machine....

Question about when you sell a machine....

Old 06-17-2022, 11:52 AM

UPDATE: I haven't heard back from her, so I'm assuming she's not interested. I changed my posting on Craigslist and added Cash only and pick up only. I've sold many things on Craigslist over the years, but always for cash. You have to be so careful these days, don't you?
Old 06-17-2022, 11:57 AM

For that amount of money, I would do cash only. Do not meet you at your house unless you have a green beret for a son-in-law, who can be present. Do not go alone. Meet in a well lighted place, preferably in front of the police station or in a public library.

A couple of years ago, there was a Craig's list scam going on here, that would buy I Phones and meet you in a public place and then pull a gun and steal your I Phone.. Someone got killed in the public parking lot of a well-lit restaurant.

There's another one where they want to send you a certified check and have a friend pick up as they are out of town. The check is bogus.

There is one using Western Union, etc.

I've sold several sewing machines on Craig's list in the $50. to $150. price range. I don't believe I would risk $3500 to a Craigs list transaction. There is too much potential for losing your money or being in personal danger.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 06-17-2022 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2022, 11:58 AM

I think I would take down the Craigslist ad and post it on FB marketplace instead. I don't know anyone personally who even uses CL anymore.
Old 06-17-2022, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Craigslist is cash.
Old 06-17-2022, 01:09 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
For that amount of money, I would do cash only. Do not meet you at your house unless you have a green beret for a son-in-law, who can be present. Do not go alone. Meet in a well lighted place, preferably in front of the police station or in a public library.
Many police stations offer an area just for this, or can suggest one (with cameras).

I also agree to post it on Facebook Marketplace instead of Craigslist. At least with FB you can view the interested party's profile and do an initial vetting to try an make sure they are a legit buyer. Look at location, photos, etc. - whatever you can see to make sure it's not a spoofed account.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa View Post
I always ask for cash if it's a face-to-face sale, but this lady lives 200 miles from me and I doubt she will travel to pick it up.

I was reading about Venmo, and it said that it's not as secure as Zelle or PayPal because of the linking of bank accounts.

This is a transaction for $3500, so it's no small amount.
My husband and I once drove states away to buy a machine.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I think I would take down the Craigslist ad and post it on FB marketplace instead. I don't know anyone personally who even uses CL anymore.

Good idea. I'm going to do that. Craigslist use to be good to sell things but I think they've become a haven for scammers the more I hear and read from a lot of comments.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:04 AM

If it is not a local buyer, meet them half-way, if it is not too far, but use all the suggestions above to protect yourself.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:53 AM

Be careful of the FB marketplace. I've heard of several scams there just like the CL ones.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:04 PM

I like Craigslist and the local facebook marketplace, use both often, from free clear up to nice vehicles.

Cash only, although we did meet at the bank for someone buying a pickup, the bank wanted to inspect it. Still cash.

just don't respond to any texts or emails asking you to type in a code or anything like that, they are just trying to access your account and then put up scam sales.
The lady that bought my treeadle came from 12 hours away.