Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pattern Puzzle >

Pattern Puzzle

Pattern Puzzle

Old 06-15-2022, 06:30 PM

Default Pattern Puzzle

I saw this photo of an antique quilt on Pinterest.

While it is essentially a log cabin, I am a bit spacially challenged and cannot see if there is a way to sew this up without Y seams.

Happy to do it with Y seams if necessary, but is there a way to do this all straight seams??

I know there are lots of heart log cabin patterns out there, but I like that this one has the three little squares right at the apex of the heart...I like the balance that gives.
Attached Thumbnails log-cabin-heart-quilt.jpg  
Old 06-15-2022, 07:13 PM

Take this with a grain of salt, as I'm not a quilter. As I looked at it, I thought that it is made up of three blocks with some of the strips with triangles at the ends. I took the picture into Paint and drew the lines to make up the blocks. Red lines indicate the triangles at the end.

log-cabin-heart-quilt.jpg

Then I looked up "heart strip quilt block" and found http://neverlandstitches.blogspot.co...art-quilt.html which shows something similar, but with fewer pieces. It also seems kind of hard to follow the instructions.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 06-15-2022, 09:15 PM

I agree with Workbench - you can see the seams on the triangles if you look carefully.
This would be a fun way of using up scraps!
Old 06-16-2022, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

OurWorkbench -

Awesome breakdown! - I added a few more lines to show I would "build" this block. Clever piecing of two of the "strips" to get the log cabin effect.

I also like the look of it.

It could be done with "ordinary" piecing.
Attached Thumbnails hearts.jpeg  
Old 06-16-2022, 03:44 AM

bearisgray is right. I've made this before and there are no Y seams. It's simply in the order you sew the strips together. Actually very easy to do.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:00 AM

You have gotten pretty good advice, but there are actually 4 units, with the lower left strip it’s own unit. After attaching the half square triangles to the 4 strips where needed, sew in the order shown. Then attach B to C, then the BC unit to A and the ABC Unit to D (the lower left strip). The white strips are sashing.
Attached Thumbnails img_1520.jpeg  
Old 06-16-2022, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

Interesting on how different people "see" how to assemble it.

I think the main "tricks/secrets " are that it is made of separate units - and - that two of the "strips" are "pieced" but assembled in different sections. Would almost have to lay out those sections ahead of time to assure that they "matched" when put together.

Thank you for posting this puzzle.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:14 AM

Thankyou all!!! I did not think of deviating from the log cabin assembly approach...you all splitting it up into different sub-blocks makes perfect sense!

Thanks again and I will tackle this one as per your suggestions,

Janet
Old 06-16-2022, 06:44 AM
bj

That would make a fun mystery quilt project! How wide do you think the strips were? 2.5” strips would make a nice 16.5” (I think) block!
Old 06-16-2022, 06:56 AM

I think the original photo shows smaller blocks...even 1.5" strips would give you an 8" block, so piecing this to make, say, a 6" block would be pretty challenging...you would be working with 1" strips.

I cut a 1" strip and a 1.5" strip off every fabric I buy, so have bins of strips all ready to go for a scrappy heart.

Agreed on the mystery! Making up the sub-blocks you would never suspect a scrappy heart was en route!