Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you stay away from? >

What do you stay away from?

What do you stay away from?

Old 06-27-2022, 07:26 AM

I can't relate to Tula Pink fabrics. Not that I question her brilliance as a designer, but my brain just freezes up when I try to think how I would use her fabrics (other than buying a kit, of course).
Old 06-27-2022, 07:36 AM

I try to stay away from plaids and stripes. Worked with so many plaids and stripes when I was upholstering. I do have a few of those prints in my stash I use them in places you can't see, like pillow inserts. When I need a few hot pads for the counters or potholders I will use those prints..
Old 06-27-2022, 08:36 AM
bj

I get a little frustrated trying to use precuts with pinked edges. I love that they offer such a nice variety of fabrics though. So I do buy them occasionally.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:40 AM

Got quite a few chuckles. Moving required very selective packing. Finally made some definite decisions about what I wanted to work with. Someone else can love and enjoy machine computerized embroidery. ‘No’ is a complete sentence. Been there, done that, had the stash to prove it.

Yesterday,one more UFO finished and clutter reduced. Today, plan to finish another and more clutter gone. Look’s good. Only 1 crate with UFO’s. Then I will stay current. Like having a credit card and paying today for what I wanted yesterday.

So, what am I avoiding? Temptation to do what other’s love. That’s great for them. For me? I’ll be my unique me.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:02 PM

I honestly don't pay a lot of attention to designer names. I see something I like, and go in search of it. I do know that I like deep earthy colors, rust, sage green, brown hues, and everything autumn colored. Just finished a quilt top that is beautiful metallics which I've not been fond of before.Loud, modern, abstract is not my wheelhouse. I love civil war, but not 30's.Love applique, but not piecing small strips, or squares. I've ordered online, but not very often. I love to touch, feel and pet the fabric. I love stopping at any LQS that I see. Have never stopped for fabric at a garage/estate sale, or thrift store. My BFF and I do shop each other's stash, and she often will buy me fabric that she "knows" I will love. I'm visiting her next week, and will be going to Sisters, Oregon, so planning on some purchases out there and will be shipping those home.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:29 PM

I just love it all! I like the challenge of a difficult pattern. I like bright, wild prints -- especially Kaffe! I like Civil War and 30's repos! I want to put a stripe or plaid in every quilt. Scrappy is great, but so is a classic 2-color quilt! I love a lot of fabric designers! My favorites are probably William Morris and Robin Pickins.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:11 AM

I stay away from:
Quilt patterns that require a lot of tiny pieces to create 1 block. My reason is my time is limited with working full time.
I also like less piecing in a quilt so I don't have to deal with so many seams when I quilt on my domestic machine.
Old 06-28-2022, 02:40 AM

I don't like to watch You Tube videos and would rather read directions either online or in a book (I'm a retired librarian!).

I like the look of KFassett and TPink fabrics but don't buy them. Perhaps they're a little intimidating to me - can't figure out how to incorporate them with the scraps I already have.

I avoid making patterns that require me to make the same segments or blocks over and over again - prefer samplers or medallions. I lose interest after making just a few blocks, thus creating more UFOs.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I stay away from:
Quilt patterns that require a lot of tiny pieces to create 1 block. My reason is my time is limited with working full time.
I also like less piecing in a quilt so I don't have to deal with so many seams when I quilt on my domestic machine.
This so much! I find quilting over a four way seam not my cup of tea, especially if it is repeated all over the same block.
Old 06-28-2022, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I stay far far away from Civil War reproduction fabrics and sewing with black fabric. Love history but hate the dark colors.
A stellar example of the differences in quilters "taste". I love the Civil War reproduction prints both the darker color pallet and the lighter shirting and dress prints on light backgrounds. But CW does not dominate my quilting efforts. I stay away from modern colors, specifically gray, and patterns that have strong geometric patterns. The many patterns dominated by a "billion" little pieces don't catch my interest or needle. That said, I admire the quilts that use a modern palette and the work put into the quilts is admirable with all of those little pieces, I just choose not to make them.

Good question that made me think and consider what I avoid and what draws my eye and interest.