Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What fabric for a Hawaiian quilt? >

What fabric for a Hawaiian quilt?

What fabric for a Hawaiian quilt?

Old 06-30-2022, 09:48 AM

Default What fabric for a Hawaiian quilt?

I watched a Youtube video, Just Get It Done, interview with a Hawaiian quilter and now I've got the bug to do one. I love hand sewing and applique but I'm wondering what fabric would be best for this. Most of the quilts I've seen look like they use plain colored fabric (Kona???).

Anyone made one or have any suggestions? I had thought about batik but I'm not sure. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:00 AM

Oh I think Batik fabrics would be lovely for one. all those lovely colors together. I guess it depends on the look you are going for.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
Oh I think Batik fabrics would be lovely for one. all those lovely colors together. I guess it depends on the look you are going for.
Thanks I thought a dark green would be nice on a white background.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:48 AM

I agree on a Batik! Batik fabrics make wonderful lightweight quilts and they are a joy to work with.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

While batiks are great for raw edge appliqué because they don’t fray as much as regular cotton, I wonder how easily they would turn under with needle turn appliqué, I think they would be okay if you kept the design simple. Maybe some one who has done needle turn with batiks can answer.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:28 AM

Pacific Rim Quilts (https://www.pacificrimquilt.com/patterns/) has many patterns using batiks for you to look at and see if you like them better than a plain solid. The older traditional Hawaiian quilts that I have seen were all bicolor solids and really show off the shadow quilting, so ultimately, the decision will depend on the look you prefer. I would assume any quality solid would work.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
While batiks are great for raw edge appliqué because they don’t fray as much as regular cotton, I wonder how easily they would turn under with needle turn appliqué, I think they would be okay if you kept the design simple. Maybe some one who has done needle turn with batiks can answer.
Some batiks can be stiff (especially if not washed first) and can be a little difficult to needle turn. However most of them turn easily, and the lack of fraying is a big plus. I like doing Hawaiian style applique, though I've never made a big quilt that way with just one large motif. I have made one with blocks, each with a different Hawaiian motif, and I've been thinking of making another. I also like doing the two-fabric applique shown on the Pacific Rim Quilt Company site.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:29 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SueZQ from MN View Post
Pacific Rim Quilts (https://www.pacificrimquilt.com/patterns/) has many patterns using batiks for you to look at and see if you like them better than a plain solid. The older traditional Hawaiian quilts that I have seen were all bicolor solids and really show off the shadow quilting, so ultimately, the decision will depend on the look you prefer. I would assume any quality solid would work.
Thanks for the link to Pacific Rim Quilts! Lots of inspiration.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by retired2pa View Post
I watched a Youtube video, Just Get It Done, interview with a Hawaiian quilter and now I've got the bug to do one. I love hand sewing and applique but I'm wondering what fabric would be best for this. Most of the quilts I've seen look like they use plain colored fabric (Kona???).

Anyone made one or have any suggestions? I had thought about batik but I'm not sure. Thanks.
Mine was from 100% cotton and had Flowers on each one. I used 5 print and green plan to represent the plant greenery. Think I'll start a new one as We lost that one in the last flood we had. Need a new quilt project.
Old 07-02-2022, 09:53 AM

I've made several Hawaiian quilts and would suggest perhaps a Kona solid. As others have mentioned, ease of needle turning is a prime consideration, especially if you have sharp points in the design. I'm finishing up a wall quilt that's beautiful but I probably should have chosen a different fabric, as this one is a good quality fabric but just sturdy enough to be difficult to needle turn. If you have a LQS it would be best to actually see the fabric in person before buying.