Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fixing uneven cross grain >

Fixing uneven cross grain

Fixing uneven cross grain

Old 08-27-2022, 05:48 PM

I started washing all my fabric before using it because I was getting a rash when I sewed. After investigating I found that not only does the new fabric have sizing, but it also has chemicals to prevent bugs from eating the fabric on the long trip from where it is made - and clothes made overseas do too. After I wash, I starch - heavily if I plan to use it in the accuquilt and lighter if I will be cutting with a rotary cutter.

In my clothing class I learned to pull a crossgrain thread so I knew where the grainline was so I could make sure things were straight on the grain. I still do this for scraps if it is important to have a straight grain cut.

Remember, for woven fabric the cross grain does not stretch but the lengthwise grain (the sides with the selvages) has some stretch. When fabric was wonky, we used to try to straighten the grain by having 2 folks hold opposite corners and pull, then move to the other corners (again opposite) and pull.
Old 08-30-2022, 01:37 AM

I often cut my bindings from the length (rather than the width) of fabric after cutting off the selvages. That results in fairly straight of grain strips.
Old 08-30-2022, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Having a straight/true grainline really matters to some people.

For others, they do not seem to care much one way or another.

I have learned that "permanent pressed" cottons will not straighten. I can pull and pull and pull - and they insist on remaining they way they were processed.

If a fabric design is printed off-grain - I guess the choices are to cut with the design and have off-grain pieces, or to cut with the grain and have "off" design.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:05 AM

I'm not too concerned about perfect grainlines on smaller pieces. I just did the 'pull the thread' on three 96" length, plus I straightened the 108" wide end. I felt like was back in home ec in the 50s. I was concerned I couldn't cut the long runs straight, so it was back to pulling the thread.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:12 AM

I never worry about straightening with the cross grain. I just straighten my quilting fabric by squaring it off on the end that I am cutting - in other words if the raw edges are not matching or off kiter, I trim it off so that both raw edges are the same. When quilting, I'm putting in enough seams and putting in enough actual quilting, that I've never had a problem with any twisting etc with my fabric.
I've only had that happen when making garments if I didn't straighten it with the cross grain and since I don't make garments any more, no worries.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:10 AM

OMG, this thread is GOLD! I usually sew clothing so straight of grain is important. I tried to tear some Norcott fabric like I do for sewing (always works) and it tore incredibly crooked. How does that even happen??? I folded it selvages together and shifted it until it hung straight across the fold. Laid it down and used a ruler to cut straight up one edge. Was lucky that I had enough of that fabric to cut all the pieces needed. I went to cut the panel to size and realized with the panel cut I was given (large print cut from fabric), there was no attractive option. Went online and bought 2 yards of the fabric so I had plenty to cut the repeating large motif exactly as I wanted it. Plan to use foam and cut a mask to the size I need and lay it on the fabric until I like what I see.

Did I mention I HATE CUTTING??? I have a accuquilt and plan to practice with that and cut as little as possible otherwise.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:19 PM

At one point in my quilting life, I bought a number of panels. I prewashed and ironed them and then my nightmare began. I could not get them straight - I went nuts trying to straightening them. When I did a thread pull, I discovered they were not printed straight and when I washed them they just got wonky. As much as I love them, I don't buy panels any ore.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
At one point in my quilting life, I bought a number of panels. I prewashed and ironed them and then my nightmare began. I could not get them straight - I went nuts trying to straightening them. When I did a thread pull, I discovered they were not printed straight and when I washed them they just got wonky. As much as I love them, I don't buy panels any ore.
NONE of the Norcott fabric I bought would tear on the grain. I also did the thread pull which went off diagonal .SO frustrating!