Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best place to buy Aurifil? >

Best place to buy Aurifil?

Best place to buy Aurifil?

Old 08-09-2022, 01:13 PM

Default Best place to buy Aurifil?

I love Aurifil thread and I buy it online at Wawak because the price was close to half what it costs in stores ($7.65 for the 1400 yard spool). They have discontinued it due to a vendor issue. I love it but I refuse to pay $13.50 for a spool of thread and will use something else unless I can find the 50 wt at a reasonable cost. Where do you recommend? Thanks.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:47 PM

I buy at Red Rock Threads online
Old 08-10-2022, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
I love Aurifil thread and I buy it online at Wawak because the price was close to half what it costs in stores ($7.65 for the 1400 yard spool). They have discontinued it due to a vendor issue. I love it but I refuse to pay $13.50 for a spool of thread and will use something else unless I can find the 50 wt at a reasonable cost. Where do you recommend? Thanks.
I buy through Red Rock, too, but find that I really like Mettler silk finish 50 wt thread just as well. It’s often less expensive.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:55 AM

pumpkinvinecorner.com has it for under $12
Old 08-10-2022, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Quilt in a Day has Aurifil on a great sale several times a year, usually a neutral color. I have a lot of Aurifil bought over the years when it was about $3 a spool at Tristan online. I would buy 12 spool cases of neutral colors. In fact a poster here posted about Tristan, that's how I found it. Miss those days. LOL I can't believe the price of a spool now. I see a spool of it in the shops and remember heirloom and vintage quilts cherished now were not made with Aurifil.
Old 08-10-2022, 05:36 AM

I used to get it a Handcock's of Paducah as it was a better price. I just checked, the price has gone up but if you buy more, the price of each spool goes down. They also carry Guetterman and Mettler Silk finish cotton thread which is also 50 weight. I like the Mettler as well
They also have periodic sales
Old 08-10-2022, 05:52 AM

I stocked up before Wawak decided to drop Aurifil, I do know of an Amish shop in northern Indiana who sells it at a discount (compared to most shops) but they do not do mail orders.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:26 AM

Default onnecting Threads

I buy online from Connecting Threads. They have both cones and regular size spools. Since it was the first time I bought from them I bought the regular spools 100% cotton quilting thread. I can use it on my Singer or by hand. It was on sale. The Clothing goes to Salvation Army and I bought 12 the first time in various colors for $4/spool. This works for both quilting and clothing for the children that I sew for. Toys go to Toy 4 Tots as my Big brother was a Marine and my church.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I use to be a thread snob because starting out I listened to all the machine/thread paid spokespeople.. not anymore. I realized it doesn't matter as long as the thread was good quality and my machine liked it and at the price I wanted to pay.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:29 AM

I've bought Aurifil from Hawthorne Supply Co. in the past. I haven't compared prices, and haven't needed any in a while. At that time, they had all colors and weights.