Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Andover/Makower question >

Andover/Makower question

Andover/Makower question

Old 08-24-2022, 08:53 AM

Default Andover/Makower question

Several years ago, I ordered some Andover fabric online, as it was the perfect color combo I needed. It was probably the nicest quilting fabric I've ever bought. It was very smooth, had a wonderful body and was very soft - just the nicest fabric ever. Andover is not common, so I've not purchased any since.

Questions - Is it all like this, or was it just a fluke? Is Makower quality the same as Andover?

bkay
Old 08-24-2022, 09:13 AM

I've bought lots of Andover, as they specialize in reproduction fabric, but I can't say as I noticed it was exceptionally nice. I love Makower fabric, too. They are certainly both quality brands. The one brand of fabric that seems exceptional in feel to me is Art Gallery fabric.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:10 PM

I think over time lots of things change, so I wouldn't assume that just because something was nice several years ago that it's still nice. Manufacturers change suppliers because of natural disasters, supply chain issues, geo-political strife, or to cut costs; processes change because of technological advancements (think digital prints). I honestly think the only way you're going to be able to answer your own question is to purchase some of each.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:03 AM

I know we sell a lot of both Andover and Makower fabrics in the shop where I work. I've always liked both lines and found the fabrics to be well made. Different designers can choose the grey goods they wish their designs to be printed on.( Or so I've been told.)