Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Roasted tomatoes >

Roasted tomatoes

Roasted tomatoes

Old 09-03-2022, 07:48 PM

Default Roasted tomatoes

I’m getting overrun with tomatoes so I cut about a dozen in half and scraped out just the visible seeds. Removed the hard core and placed them skin down on a wire rack with a baking sheet below to catch drips.
Drizzled with olive oil then a generous sprinkle of seasoning made by mixing salt, pepper and 2 (or more) tsp. cumin.
400 degrees for 45 minutes. Turn off oven and leave undisturbed for a couple of hours.
Run through food processor and freeze for chili, soups and hot dishes or a base for salsa.

Italian seasoning could be used instead of cumin. Peppers can be roasted along side the tomatoes.
Old 09-04-2022, 01:08 AM

Makes a yummy tomato soup!
Old 09-04-2022, 04:49 AM

And a fabulous replacement for pizza sauce. Had a bunch of cherry tomatoes that were getting soft, and did the same thing, except with a bit of oregano. I didn't even puree them, just dotted them on the pizza crust and covered with everything else. It was great!
Old 09-04-2022, 05:34 AM
Power Poster

I was making spaghetti sauce for supper last night. I had a bunch of cherry tomatoes to use up. I cut off the stem end, put them in a Pyrex bowl and poured hot water from the kettle over them. Let them sit for about 2 minutes and then ran cold water over them. Pulled off the split skins and added them to my spaghetti sauce. I just couldn’t let them go to waste when every grocery dollar counts!
Old 09-04-2022, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I was making spaghetti sauce for supper last night. I had a bunch of cherry tomatoes to use up. I cut off the stem end, put them in a Pyrex bowl and poured hot water from the kettle over them. Let them sit for about 2 minutes and then ran cold water over them. Pulled off the split skins and added them to my spaghetti sauce. I just couldn’t let them go to waste when every grocery dollar counts!
Clever idea !
Old 09-04-2022, 10:41 AM

I started roasting tomatoes and freezing them a couple of years ago. I was in a co-op and we kept getting tomatoes. Not enough to can, but more than we could use in a week. I found that we like them much better than canned, so have continued doing it. Try to coordinate when I am baking bread or something for dinner is going in the oven, but that doesnt always work out. I just wash, cut them in half and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano. When I take them out, I let them cool until I can handle them. The skins fall off. I freeze in 2 cup portions. Casseroles and soups are so much better with produce we have preserved.
Old 09-04-2022, 02:10 PM

Hmmm.... roasted tomato salsa.....might have to try that! I'm wondering if I could roast the onions and jalapenos at the same time. Off the check with Mr. Google!
Old 09-05-2022, 06:32 AM

Last year I had the same problem with way too many tomatoes so I started slicing the larger tomatoes and just cutting the grape and cherry tomatoes in half and dehydrating them. Takes a lot of dehydrated grape/cherry tomatoes to fill a quart jar mine you. As for the larger slices, I then put them thru the food processor to grind them up and place them into a quart canning jar. These can be placed in a cabinet and do not need refridgerated. I make my own sauce and salsa so when I find a jar that's a bit too watery for my taste, I throw in some of the ground up tomatoes and it thickens it right up, not to mention the taste they give it. I've been finding more and more recipes asking for sun dried tomatoes and the little dried ones are perfect for that and they give off such a fantastic flavor. I even throw some of the ground up tomatoes into my squash soups as I make a gallon at a time and freeze it for the winter. The flavor of the dried tomatoes are so much more vivid than as regular fresh tomatoes.

This year I only planted 1 regular tomato plant but 2 grape tomatoe plants to stock up on my sun dried tomato supply. We also did fire roasted tomatoes and put them into the freezer. And then at the end of the year when we had so many green tomatoes we found that our recipe for breading eggplant slices for parmesan works with the green tomatoes and we can freeze them. When I need a few slices, I pull them out of the freezer and throw them into my air fryer for a few 2-4 minutes. Great topped with yogurt or sour cream as a snack.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:16 PM

I slice the tomatoes in 1/4" or 3/8" slices horizontally. Even the part that has a hole in it from coring out the stem. Put them on a sheet of aluminum foil on top of a cookie sheet. Sprinkle shredded parmesan cheese on top...I like the whole top covered with cheese, but it really is a matter of taste. Put them under the oven's broiler about 6" down from the heat and broil them until the cheese turns a light brown. The tomatoes will get hot, but not mushy. I usually serve them with steak and pull the skins off while they are on the plate while eat them. The skin sort of corrals the tomato so that they don't get all over the place. Yummy!
Old 09-22-2022, 05:20 PM

Yummm! I love putting a variety of veggies, including tomatoes, on a sheet pan and roasting them with a little olive oil until their browned. Then, I pile them high on some good bread for a roasted veggie sandwich. I add just a small splash of balsamic vinegar to give the veggies some extra flavor.