Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Houston IQF >

Houston IQF

Houston IQF

Old 09-24-2022, 05:22 AM

Default Houston IQF

Anyone going? I'm not for several reasons. Just can't justfy the expense. Have the fab, tools, patterns to last 2 lifetimes. I'd love to before I get too old..72 right now..so I'll just stay home and contine to sew charity quilts.

Old 09-24-2022, 05:35 AM

I'm going for the first time this year. (been on my bucket list...) My brother lives an hour from Houston so we'll be staying with them and my SIL and I will be going. Husband will stay and "play" with my brother. LOL Really looking forward to it.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:42 AM

Not going--too far from home.Would be almost 12 hour drive 1 way. Can't get that far with my chair. Will be working on some UFOs instead.
Old 09-24-2022, 08:35 AM

I will be going but only because I will be lucky enough to happen to be in Texas at the time.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:39 AM

I'm going! I go every year because I live in the burbs north of Houston. It's only about 1/2 hour for me to get to the George R Brown from my house as long as I go at off peak times. I'm not taking any classes. I used to do classes every year and they're fantastic, but I lost my buddies that I would ride in with so the drive in the morning without being able to use the HOV lane is horrendous. I need to try to take some weekend or afternoon classes again. Let me know if you want to meet up.
Old 09-24-2022, 06:27 PM

Sure wish I could go. Maybe next year. But my sewing buddy isn't able to travel much and I don't want to go alone.
Old 09-25-2022, 02:50 AM

Don’t look at it as a shopping mall (even though it can be if you want it to, lol!). You could spend 2-3 full days just marveling at the quilts. My friend Peggi (Peckish here) and I have gone a few times, and oohing and awing at the quilts really gets our creative juices flowing every single time we’ve gone to the show. We always made sure we spent time every day looking at the quilts and discussing why we admired them. We’ve both found new techniques that have encouraged us to try something new and innovative. Let the show inspire you to step out of your "normal" and spark your creativity!

Last edited by cindi; 09-25-2022 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-25-2022, 04:58 AM

A friend and I went to the Houston show. We spent 2 1/2 days looking at vendors and about 1/2 day looking at quilts!
Old 09-25-2022, 07:05 AM

I’m going for the first time on a bus from a LQS. If I was smart I would leave my credit card at home and avoid all temptation, but that’s no fun!
Old 09-25-2022, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by faykilgore View Post
I’m going for the first time on a bus from a LQS. If I was smart I would leave my credit card at home and avoid all temptation, but that’s no fun!
No! Don't do that! The shopping and finding the perfect fabric/pattern/project to make is half the fun. I usually go down 3 days and spend part of days 1 and 2 shopping and part of them looking at quilts. The third day is looking and photographing quilts.

I've found it helpful to take a pen and pad of paper to jot notes about where various things are located in case I want to visit them again before the show is over. I also find wearing my money/credit cards and ID/Medical cards in a hanger around my neck is helpful. I don't have to dig in a big bag to find them when I want to buy something and its much harder for someone to lift them.

I take an extra lightweight bag with me in case I want to put things in the package check so I don't have to carry them until I'm ready to go. This has helped me out a lot when I decided to buy a kit or other large or heavy article.

Comfy shoes are a must! Lots of walking involved. I wear a Fitbit and normally log around 15,000 steps when I go to Festival.