Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
DIY laundry detergent recipes-please >

DIY laundry detergent recipes-please

DIY laundry detergent recipes-please

Old 10-28-2022, 05:05 AM

Default DIY laundry detergent recipes-please

Do you make your own liquid detergent. I would like to make some, but I prefer a T&T recipe that is great for all things washed.
I have a top load washer and use soft water and hard well water. I always wash in warm, rinse in cold and use vinegar in the rinse in place of fabric softener.
Old 10-28-2022, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I use equal amounts of Zote flakes, Arm and Hammer Washing Soda and 20 Mule
Team Borax. I use dryer balls instead of softener and use lavender on them in the dryer. I mix it up in an ice cream container and use about a tablespoon in each load. For stained work clothes you can add more.
Old 10-28-2022, 06:50 AM

Homespun, do you need to add it to the empty tub and have the water dissolve it before adding items.
Also, I would have to grate a bar of Zote as we don't have flakes available, just found out about it being flakes.
Old 10-28-2022, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

When I'm out of detergent for washer or dishwasher I use Dawn original liquid and baking soda.

For washer I use 1 teaspoon of liquid dish detergent ( I like Dawn original). two teaspoons of baking soda. Baking soda stops the sudsing. Dissolve in warm water. For a full load. Using warm or hot water.
For dishwasher I use 1/4 teaspoon liquid dish detergent and 1/2 teaspoon baking
soda dissolved in 1/2 cup warm water put in the detergent cup.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:41 AM

Onebyone, that is a very simple recipe, but can it be used for all laundry loads, every day.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:00 AM

I love this family & follow her channel. Just recently she showed how to make your own laundry detergent. We have a septic system & I've done some research on this & get conflicting answers about using it in the septic system but it sure is a lot cheaper than using store bought, ready made detergent. I'm not making my own until I know for sure it's safe for my HE washing machine & my aerobic septic system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkFsxP6OaXI&t=136s
Old 10-28-2022, 10:06 AM

when I was a kid, my mom used to save all those slivers of bar soap and when we ran out of laundry detergent, one of us kids would be assigned to pare the soap bar slivers into the washing machine with a potato peeler. It was an old wringer washing machine. Sure, don't know how it would work in a modern machine. My grandmother regularly used Fels naphtha laundry bar soap and would shave that into the washer, I don't remember if she added anything else.

Last edited by sewingpup; 10-28-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:45 PM

osewme, thank you for the link and love the stoves behind her. I had a 30's green--wood burning-- version of her white one.
Old 10-28-2022, 06:10 PM

One Good Thing by Jillee also has a laundry soap recipe & quite a few other home remedies/recipes.
Old 10-28-2022, 06:44 PM

My grandma--momma's mom--used vinegar, hot water and brown paper bags to clean everything else but never did hear about the wash. She swore by her vinega and brown paper bags for everything so I'm almost positive she would have used vineagr in the wash in some way. In her day they used real things. Not any of these man made things.
I still use the vinegar, hot water and brown paper bags for cleaning my windows - stops the streaking on the windows - and inside needs. Called my brother and he said she used vinegar but could not remember what, if anything she used with it.

Also use cinnamon for killing roaches. I never allow the bug people to enter my apartment as I have 1 cat that is deathly allergic to that poison. He never has even tasted my cinnamon. Guess the smell turns him off. I just drop a 1/4 teaspoon in out of the way places and the roaches find it. I never see a roach until they spray the other apartments in my building. After eating the cinnamon in my apartment spells their death. I just buy the pur ground cinnamon.