Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 06-04-2023, 10:53 AM

joe'smom - I just love your light blue and purple nine patches. The black background really makes them pop. They remind of little blue flowers sprinkled throughout your quilt. Beautiful!
Old 06-04-2023, 11:08 AM

Thanks so much, everyone!

(I've concluded that I don't see the fade-out effect in real life that I see in the photos, so it must be the way the camera deals with the white prints in the black fabrics, as opposed to the way the eye perceives them in person.)
Old 06-04-2023, 11:45 AM

Awesome finish, joesmom….loving your colorway choice. Looks like a completely different pattern with the black background..well done!!!
Old 06-04-2023, 12:25 PM

Just lovely. I agree that the nine patches “pop” but with your dark neutrals, the look is lovely.
Old 06-04-2023, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I found some energy and finally finished my Chilhowie top! The big surprise to me was how prominent those little 9-patches turned out to be. I think the approach of choosing different fabrics for each clue worked out fine. The only part that doesn't make much sense with the dark neutral is the border; I chose my blacks with the most white for that, to try and create some contrast with the purple, and it ended up looking kind of muted. In fact various parts of the top have an odd, faded look because of the various degrees of white in the blacks. At first I thought my flash was washing out the photos, but I think that is the actual effect. I did put on the top right corner wrong, but I'm not really concerned about it.

This was such a fun mystery. Thank you, SuzSLO for so kindly hosting us!
This is really stunning, Joe'smom! Your color scheme is so dramatic. Great job!

Leslie
Old 08-31-2023, 08:47 AM

Just wanted to pop in and say grats and well done to all those who participated this/last year! I went to the big local quilt show in the Peoria area last weekend and there was a full size project and a smaller one, along with an En Provence which was before my time of participation. I really liked this project and printed off the clues as they came out -- don't know if I'll ever do it but I missed having the mystery experience with all of you.

I've been chatting with SuzSLO in private messages and she will have a busy personal life during the time period this year -- I am volunteering to do the hosting for this year. If someone else would like to take over the limited duties -- please feel free and speak up now I'll be participating either way.

If I'm remembering correctly, Bonnie usually gives us the color selections around Halloween, and that is coming up fast. My how time flies! I should be unpacked and ready to go by then.
Old 08-31-2023, 10:29 AM

I would love to have you host this years Mystery Iceblossom, and thank you for volunteering! It will be my 14th Bonnie Mystery! I have completed all of them - however I still have four in flimsy stage! I quilt them all myself, so it seems to take a long time to get them finished! I cannot wait to start on this years Mystery!!!
Old 08-31-2023, 03:32 PM

Very happy to hear you'll be hosting this year's Mystery. October isn't that far away.
Old 08-31-2023, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by yipagos16 View Post
Quiltville Inn circa 1884 is the perfect getaway for quilters. Designed for creative enthusiasts who enjoy quilting, knitting, crocheting and other needle arts, Quiltville Inn Retreat is nestled in the beautiful, Blue Ridge Mountain community of Mouth of Wilson, Virginia.
Sounds like you have been on a quilting retreat there, Yipagos16. Welcome to the board.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:05 PM

Thank you so much, Iceblossom. That's very generous of you. I'm not sure if I will participate, but I will definitely be following along to see everyone's progress. I have done 5 of the mysteries, starting with Allietare!, but haven't gotten Good Fortune quilted and bound yet. I really liked all of them.
JeanieG.--congratulations on having done so many Bonnie mysteries! I have quilted my own quilts until just a year ago. I just can't manage those large quilts anymore.
I'm eager to see what Bonnie comes up with this year.

Leslie