Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
How Much Stabilizer to Remove >

How Much Stabilizer to Remove

How Much Stabilizer to Remove

Old 12-17-2022, 02:09 AM

Default How Much Stabilizer to Remove

I am working on my first embroidered quilt and am not sure how much stabilizer to remove. The design is centered in each block with a fusible and batting to keep it “puffier.” Do I just remove from the seam allowance or do I cut away around the design? Also, do I need another layer of batting so that you do not feel the seams? Thank you.
Old 12-17-2022, 04:39 AM

What type of stabilizer is in the blocks?

Trim the stabilizer out along the seam line. Did you also trim out the batting from the seam line before you put the background fabric down? Some EMB designs stitch the batting just a bit smaller to avoid the bulk in the seams.

If you didn't trim out the batting, there is a trimmer tool with an edge on it. You can also lay a long ruler right over the edge and trim. Go to the 42 minute mark to see the technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkx4...js1nEVpKvb0_rx

Old 12-17-2022, 04:42 AM

Depending on the design of the block, I have added a second layer of batting in the quilt.

Make the quilt sandwich, and then quilt around the EMB design within the block. I don't SITD as the backing fabric seems too sloppy for me. For small wall hanging projects, I fuse the extra batting and backing with the EMB design blocks.