Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Made myself some kits >

Made myself some kits

Made myself some kits

Old 01-02-2023, 05:19 AM

Default Made myself some kits

I spent yesterday going through my fabric and making kits for quilts and storing each in it's seperate two gallon zip loc-bags. Some for Project Linus and others for myself or charity. So far I have 9 kits made up with yardage, jelly rolls, layer cakes and patterns to use. The majority will be lap quilts and twin bed sized. I won't cut into the the kit until I'm ready to use and will only have to purchase backing for some.
The sad part is I haven't even used up 15% of the fabric that I have.
Why do I spend so much money on fabric when I already have so much? I don't drink or smoke, drive a 2004 Jeep Liberty that I love, have food and clothes and a nice house.
Is there an AAA for fabricholics?
Old 01-02-2023, 05:25 AM

I feel your pain! If there was an AAA for Fabricholics I would be a lifetime member. Great idea with the kits but keep them where you can see them or they are forgotten, or at least at my house. LOL This year I made a list of 12 projects I hope to get completed. They are on the door to my studio so I see them every time I go in or out. Maybe if they are in my face all the time, they will get done. Maybe. Time will tell if this idea works.
Old 01-02-2023, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

I think we are all in the same boat!😂
Old 01-02-2023, 07:06 AM

I too would need to join that group. Probably my whole family. We all suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder .(OCD) The struggle is real. I do tend to stay out of the stores now. (But, online is a definite struggle.)

I finally had to let go of a lot of my collection. I was absolutely paralyzed by it. I feel better now. Not so boxed in by my addiction. And, I do still have plenty to play with.

Now, I just need to fight myself not to refill my space which I've done in the past. I will be visiting the Fabric Moratorium often to support and receive support to stop my habit. I don't want my stuff to define my life. I want to enjoy what I have.

Also, fabric is not my only medium of expression. I cut back and reduced and donated in all my crafts. I feel I still have plenty to play with at any given moment.

I'm happy I'm not alone in this endeavor.

And, congrats on making up your kits and getting organized for 2023. Just keep shopping your stash first and foremost. It is inspiring.

Last edited by Judith1005; 01-02-2023 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2023, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

Count me out of a FA group haha!!
But I have reined in my fabric spending. And I purged a lot of fabrics I know I'd never use.
I like the idea of making kits. Right now my sewing room contains only fabrics I love. I think I'll do some kits, thanks for the tip, Linda.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:56 AM

that is a very good organizing scheme. I need to do that. As it is i lay pattern or photo or drawings of what i want to make on top of fabrics. Two gallon bags? I will look for some. usually just save any bags that come my way. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2023, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
that is a very good organizing scheme. I need to do that. As it is i lay pattern or photo or drawings of what i want to make on top of fabrics. Two gallon bags? I will look for some. usually just save any bags that come my way. Thanks!
The two gallon zip lock bags are sometimes hard to find. I buy mine off of Amazon.com. They don't cost anymore then the store.
Walmart and Target sometimes have them.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:58 PM

Two gallon bags can be bought at The Dollar Tree, Walmart, or your local grocery (most places). Ziploc and Hefty make some...who makes those from The Dollar Tree I have no idea. Good news is once you buy a box of 10 or 20 they are reuseable for another kit of fabric.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 View Post
The two gallon zip lock bags are sometimes hard to find. I buy mine off of Amazon.com. They don't cost anymore then the store.
Walmart and Target sometimes have them.
Very large zip locks can be found at Lowes, for example.

Sandy
Old 01-06-2023, 07:02 AM

I quit buying fabric in 2001 as a side result of decluttering my house with FlyLady.
Best thing I ever did as far as quilting goes.

Buying fabric and making quilts are apples and car tires totally different things.
buying fabric releases dopamine. But it doesn't last.

Fold up your biggest quilt top ready for quilting, and sit it by your fabric stash. That will tell you approximately how many quilts you need to make to deplete your stash.