Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Changing Techniques or steps when making a quilt >

Changing Techniques or steps when making a quilt

Changing Techniques or steps when making a quilt

Old 01-05-2023, 12:13 PM

Default Changing Techniques or steps when making a quilt

I was wondering if others do the same as I do. In finding your own technique of how to do a step, that is different from the pattern technique, but the end results being the same.

When working a pattern, or a technique, if I can’t get it to work out the way it is supposed to after watching videos if they have them, I’ll play around with it and try to come up with my own technique to try to get it to turn out the way I want, or the way it is supposed to be in the end product.

I thought about it this morning when I was looking at how I do my connecting block sashing for Quilt as you go. I didn’t really like the way I had been doing it because it was so fussy of how it always didn’t turn out by the stitching being off just by a little bit on some parts of the sashing. Just enough to be annoying.

So, I spent the morning going through a lot of scrap material, sampling and trying different measurements. Finally, I found what I was looking for, that didn’t also leave a gap between the blocks that needed extra batting put in.

I do this with other parts of quilting as well from cutting fabric, to the end product, if I’m not comfortable with any of the steps or techniques.

I guess, basically there is no wrong way, as we each have our own ways.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:18 PM

you have to figure out what works for you
Old 01-05-2023, 12:33 PM

Yup, gotta do what works for you! I often Tuckerize patterns just to make my life easier.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:37 PM

Since I started sewing when I was 8, my mother taught me how she sewed (which she learned from her grandmother who was a professional seamstress/milliner). Then I took Home-Ec when I was in 8th & 10th grade where the teachers proceeded to tell me I was doing it all wrong. They were sure their ways were better and easier, so I would go along, because I wanted to pass their classes. But usually their way, was way slower. I do take quilting classes to see if they have ways I don't know about and honestly many times they do. (It does annoy me when I take a class and there is always someone that wants to tell the class how their way is better. Really? I am paying to learn from this woman.). I took a class and the instructor came over and I was doing so well she asked me when I was taking the class. Because it was her technique that was making me better. If you had seen her work you would want to learn it too. Sometimes people really go around the block to get something done. That's all part of the fun in sewing. Most recently I learned how to knot my thread by the needle so the thread doesn't pull out of the needle. Then wonder after all these years I had never thought or heard of doing it that way.
Old 01-05-2023, 12:39 PM

I think it's wonderful that you don't stick to the "this is how it's done" techniques. I thank those like you who think out of the box & makes ways to fit how it's best for you & then share your discovery with us. I imagine that most of the techniques that you see have been found by just trial & error. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2023, 01:38 PM

That is what I tell those that ask how to do something. I will show them how I do it but also stress that there may be other ways that work. It is up to them to figure out which way works best
for themselves. No right or wrong. Just different
Old 01-05-2023, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Yes for sure. And now have a friend who used to work for a quilting magazine (I can't remember the name) a long time ago and she has interesting hints or suggestions that I never would have thought of. I say "come look at this" and her history kicks in
Old 01-05-2023, 03:36 PM

Wait!! What!!! Quiltingcandy--you knot your thread so it doesn't pull out of the needle when you start a seam?? OMG I think you have just saved my sanity!! My Janome is the worst for pulling up the thread when I start sewing and many many bad words have been said. I am going to try this asap!!
Old 01-05-2023, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes I hear "I was taught to ..." and I think well times and techniques change!
Old 01-05-2023, 09:07 PM

GingerK the knot next to the needle is when I hand sew. I do a lot of hand sewing when English paper piecing and sewing on binding. It may work on a machine - I will have to try it tomorrow.