Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Fund Raising Ideas for quilt group >

Need Fund Raising Ideas for quilt group

Need Fund Raising Ideas for quilt group

Old 02-12-2023, 01:57 PM

Default Need Fund Raising Ideas for quilt group

Our Quilt group is looking for new Fund raising ideas. The past few years we have been doing a Ladies Luncheon and Style show. Also made pies and sold whole pies or by the piece. We are a group in a Winter Texan park and have 24 - 30 ladies in our group. We ladies make and donate baby quilt tops all year long then have a day where we and other volunteers work on adding batting and backings, sewing, turning, stitching and tying the baby quilts. Our funds are used to buy backings and batting and etc. These blankets are then donated to various hospitals and organizations for babies. What do some of you other Quilt groups do for fund raisers? I would be interested in hearing from some of you.
Old 02-12-2023, 03:01 PM

My guild (approximately 250 members) collects $35/year dues, but the bulk of the funds come from a quilt show every 2 years. They charge admission to the show, have their own booth at the show where they sell donated items, and sell food at the show, and raffle a quilt made by the guild members. The guild also makes and donates a LOT of quilts to Ronald McDonald House and Shriner Children's Hospital. I believe a lot of the fabric for the donation quilts is acquired from estate donations or member stashes.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

We do a large quilt and sell raffle tickets on it. It is a lot of work and you need members willing to set up the finished quilt and ask people to buy tickets at supermarkets, car shows etc. you need to check if you are allowed to hold a raffle and sell tickets.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:22 PM

We have several restaurants that will let you raise money thru them. McDonald's for one - you just have to hand out flyers and work handing out the food to the customers. Another one is Rubio's - which I think in just in CA. But Chick-Fil-A did it for our church. So if they think you do enough charity work they may be willing. Also, we have a candy store, See's Chocolates, that does fund raisers too. You take orders. I don't know what the % is but our schools would do it every so many years.
Old 02-13-2023, 02:52 AM

BonnieJP....I'm in eastern Iowa. Are you referring to the Mississippi Valley Quilters organization and quilt show? If so, I've always wanted to join, but sadly never have. But I do love the quilt shows!!
Old 02-13-2023, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
BonnieJP....I'm in eastern Iowa. Are you referring to the Mississippi Valley Quilters organization and quilt show? If so, I've always wanted to join, but sadly never have. But I do love the quilt shows!!
No, Linda, it's the Pairie Star Quilters' Guild of St. Charles, IL. I joined the guild about 7 years ago and absolutely love it. The guild meets monthly and offers virtual monthly retreats; in person retreats; monthly speakers like Jamie Whalen, Angela Walters, Laura Wasilowski, Lynn Koolish, Diane Murtha, Barbara Eckmeier, etc. Members have an opportunity to sign up for workshops held by the monthly speakers. We can also participate is several bee groups depending on our area of interest (e.g. Scandinavian quilts, Featherweights, etc.). The guild provides fabric and batting for charity quilts for Quilts of Valor, McDonald House, Shriner Childrens' Hospital, etc. I don't know exactly how many quilts the guild donates each year, but I know I personally made 77 quilts for McDonald House and Shriner Childrens' Hospital in 2022. The guild has a quilt show every two years and they really out did themselves for the 2022 show. It truly is a fantastic guild run by a group of fantastic board members. Here's a link to the guild's home page: Prairie Star Quilt Guild – Welcoming all quilters! (psqg.org)