Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a DB Hook? >

What is a DB Hook?

What is a DB Hook?

Old 02-17-2023, 06:42 PM

Default What is a DB Hook?

I looking for different pressure feet for my sewing machine. I keep seeing the term DB Hook. What are they referring to when calling it a DB Hook? A couple of the pressure feet will apparently work for my machine (Baby Lock Accomplish, because it will work on a Brother PQ1500) even though it says that it is for a Janome DB Hook model. What is the term DB Hook referring to? I can't find anything specific to explain it, other than saying some machines are called a DB Hook model.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 02-17-2023 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:10 PM
mkc

Typically a horizontal-axis bobbin. So one that doesn't have a drop-in bobbin, but one you have to put in a bobbin case, then click into place from the side.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:11 PM

I think you mean presser foot?
I've never heard the term DB hook, but I used to have a Janome that used a DB needle, which was round at the top, instead of having a flat side.
Old 02-18-2023, 02:32 AM
Gay

Never heard of this, but seems to relate to all the feet you can purchase. Perhaps it has something to do with the shaft the feet connect to? You could always call a Janome dealer and ask.
Old 02-18-2023, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by mkc View Post
Typically a horizontal-axis bobbin. So one that doesn't have a drop-in bobbin, but one you have to put in a bobbin case, then click into place from the side.
You explained it much better. I did see where the search pulled up about the different bobbin positions as well as places to purchase a Janome, but I didn't connect the bobbin position to the DB Hook until you mentioned it. My tired brain just wondered why that was coming up in my search for a DH Hook. I have a horizontal-axis bobbin on my Babylock Accomplish, so the feet I want I think will work with my machine. Thank you.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 02-18-2023 at 04:29 AM.
Old 02-18-2023, 06:28 AM

Ru- when choosing feet, what's more important to know is that since your Accomplish and it is the same machine as the PQ1500sl and these machines are high shank machines. So you will need to make sure that the presser feet are made for High Shank Machines. The orientation of the bobbin should have no bearing on whether a foot is suitable for the machine.

Rob
Old 02-18-2023, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by rryder View Post
Ru- when choosing feet, what's more important to know is that since your Accomplish and it is the same machine as the PQ1500sl and these machines are high shank machines. So you will need to make sure that the presser feet are made for High Shank Machines. The orientation of the bobbin should have no bearing on whether a foot is suitable for the machine.

Rob
Thanks for the reminder, however, I'm aware of the need of the high shank, as I purchase a lot of specialty machine quilting rulers that require you to know if your machine is a high shank or low shank. The Baby Lock Accomplish is definitely a high shank and also a straight shank machine, which is also a good thing to know when buying additional presser feet.

It's also interesting to know that the Baby Lock Accomplish uses the High Shank Special of the Domestic Quilting Ruler Foot as your needle is centered in it. Where the regular High Shank Domestic Quilting Ruler Foot, the needle a little off to one side instead of being in the center of the circle.

My question about the DH Hook was just that I wanted to know what it was, as I couldn't find any precise information about it. It was more of a curiosity of wondering what it meant, as I don't have a Janome and had never heard of the term. And I wanted to find out if it had anything different about it in case it would cause the presser foot to be an issue with my machine since the term was on the package.

When I choose a presser foot, I always make sure that it is mentioned as fitting either my machine or the Brother PQ1500. I have purchased additional presser feet in the past for my Accomplish and haven't had any issues with them.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 02-18-2023 at 10:49 AM.