Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
QUILT without batting >

QUILT without batting

QUILT without batting

Old 03-25-2023, 08:47 AM

Default QUILT without batting

Have you ever just used a sheet for batting??? I do not want the quilt to be heavy I do want to quilt it.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:56 AM

I would think polyester batting produces a quilt that is more lightweight, than a cotton or wool batting. Have you thought about useing a polyester batting?

I've never used a polyester batting, as I always use cotton batting, but perhaps others that do will chime in. I'm not sure a sheet will give you the quilt feeling ?? However, there are no quilt police.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 03-25-2023 at 08:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 09:00 AM

The quilts made without batting are considered summer quilts as described https://sewingiscool.com/what-is-a-summer-quilt/ and probably several other places.

ETA: I didn't read but you might do a search here on QB. Here are two that popped up when I googled. How to make a summer quilt? and summer quilts
and here is one made at Bedspread Advice

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 03-25-2023 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:56 AM

I've made several counterpane quilts without any batting. I originally made them for my dogs, but I like them so much that I made a couple for myself. They are a lot warmer than I expected and a lot less time consuming to make when you don't have to put batting in it. I do stippling on them so that they stay flat without wrinkling a lot.
Old 03-25-2023, 03:28 PM

I've made one with no batting & I love it. Janey (OurWorkbench) linked to my post about it in 2021.
We use it year round on our bed. It was so much easier to quilt without all that bulky batting inside. Hope this helps you & I'd love to see what you decide to make & how you like it.

lBedspread Advice
Old 03-25-2023, 04:06 PM

Last I heard, technically a quilt is 3 layers. This would only be important if someone is asked to decide if it technically a quilt, ie., quilt show being judged. Otherwise, it’s your quilt, do what you want.

Personally, I like bamboo or cotton. Very tightly woven fabric (thread count >200) will be warmer.

That article was very helpful.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:51 PM

Just fyi for the person who recommended polyester batting. I'm doing some longarm work for a friend who supplied polyester batting - and it's a bitch and a half to work with. So puffy. I'm getting pleats all over the place and it's hard to baste the edges because they keep turning under the foot. I'm in ducking hell. If you quilt it yourself - might want to try just straight lines - walking foot.
Old 03-25-2023, 05:28 PM

Our quit does not have batting. I used a flannel sheet for the back. We just love it. Not too hot for summer months.
Old 03-26-2023, 02:52 AM

Rff1010, what you are experiencing is unusual. Usually all I ever use is poly and I quilt my quilts on a Nolting. I don't ever have these problems. The batting must be a high loft?
Old 03-26-2023, 04:05 AM

I'm not doing a quilt but a bedskirt with body. Using a flannel sheet for the batting with muslin on the backside, will be using piano keys widely across the skirt to adhere all 3 layers.