Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fraying on Small Appliqué Pieces? >

Fraying on Small Appliqué Pieces?

Fraying on Small Appliqué Pieces?

Old 04-15-2023, 08:14 AM

Default Fraying on Small Appliqué Pieces?

I am learning to prepare small appliqué shapes for invisible machine applique, such as leaves and flower petals. I typically use Beth Ferrier’s WashAway Applique Sheets or the Apliquick interfacing, both of which are water soluable.

I am worried about fraying, since so many of the small appliqués require scissor cutting into deep “Vs” which leave only a thread or two to turn under. Although I am not planning on hard use for these quilts, I would still like to be able to gently use them and wash them.

Is washing them unrealistic? Is there a way I can keep them from fraying permanently?

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-15-2023, 08:30 AM

On those places I put glue stick, then stitch adding an extra stitch. Washing? It’s always been a wall hanging and never washed.
Old 04-15-2023, 10:55 AM

When I do applique, I use Pellon 911FF Fusible Featherweight. Note: DO NOT IRON until the last step

I trace the applique design on the Pellon non-fusible side, leaving more than a seam allowance (basically roughly cut it out as you need to have room to sew on the design line you traced) then pin it on the fabric I'm using for my applique, with the non-fusible side against the right side of the fabric. Then I sew it to the fabric. Sewing right on the traced line.

Then I cut it out (fabric and fusible) leaving a quarter inch seam (smaller if I need to) but still leaving a seam allowance.

Then I cut a slit into the middle of the Pellon (careful not to cut the fabric). Then using the slit, I turn the applique right side out, smooth out the edges with a rounded stiletto if need be. This puts the fabric right side out, with the Pellon, glue/fusible side on the outside.

Then I iron it onto my fabric where I want the applique and then sew around the edges, either with a straight stitch or a decorative stitch. No fraying because the edges of the fabric are completely inside the applique.

This way, I can make my appliques as big or as small as I need to, and don't have to worry about them fraying, no matter how many times I wash them or use the quilted item. I even do this when making applique stems for flower/leaves designs.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 04-15-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 11:21 AM

Oops, I mean when you pin it on the fabric, put the fusible side against the right side of the fabric.

--- Really wish this forum had an edit button that stayed with your post permanently instead of just a few minutes.
Old 04-15-2023, 04:59 PM
Power Poster

I find batiks fray less than regular cotton fabric . I usually use it when I have to do small appliqué pieces.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsfor View Post
When I do applique, I use Pellon 911FF Fusible Featherweight. Note: DO NOT IRON until the last step

I trace the applique design on the Pellon non-fusible side, leaving more than a seam allowance (basically roughly cut it out as you need to have room to sew on the design line you traced) then pin it on the fabric I'm using for my applique, with the non-fusible side against the right side of the fabric. Then I sew it to the fabric. Sewing right on the traced line.

Then I cut it out (fabric and fusible) leaving a quarter inch seam (smaller if I need to) but still leaving a seam allowance.

Then I cut a slit into the middle of the Pellon (careful not to cut the fabric). Then using the slit, I turn the applique right side out, smooth out the edges with a rounded stiletto if need be. This puts the fabric right side out, with the Pellon, glue/fusible side on the outside.

Then I iron it onto my fabric where I want the applique and then sew around the edges, either with a straight stitch or a decorative stitch. No fraying because the edges of the fabric are completely inside the applique.

This way, I can make my appliques as big or as small as I need to, and don't have to worry about them fraying, no matter how many times I wash them or use the quilted item. I even do this when making applique stems for flower/leaves designs.
This is the way I do my applique too.
Old 04-16-2023, 02:30 AM

When cutting deep you need to leave 1-2 threads to secure a good turnaround. That’s what I do with hand appliqué. Machine appliqué, your little piece will be secured down with thread. Either a zigzag stitch or button hole stitch. When securing a piece with the iron on stuff, my sister stitches a single line close around the edges with matching thread. It’s real pretty.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I found that Missouri Star Sew Light fusible is the best for keeping the edges in place and it is not stiff, barely know it is there.
Old 04-16-2023, 09:27 AM

I use Fray Block.
Old 04-17-2023, 07:35 AM

Default Fraying

I use Fray Check, available on Amazon.