Empty Spools Seminars

Old 04-15-2023, 04:53 PM

Default Empty Spools Seminars

Catalog arrived today for 2024 sessions. All the info is online. And it’s a vacation at Asilomar Conference Grounds in Pacific Grove……Monterey Penninsula.

Since moving to Florida, missing all the quilting activities in California.

2024 weather heats up here in Florida and spring breaks are over (airline prices should drop), thinking of sessions 4 and 5.
Anyone interested.

Session 4: Del Thomas will have display of Ruth McDowell quilts. Would love to see that.
Session 5: several classes look very promising.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

Oh, I would love to go! Maybe next year...

I attended a friend's guild meeting in Portland, Oregon, many years ago when Ruth McDowell was the speaker. Her quilts are amazing, and she was a wonderful speaker.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:29 AM

I’m looking at April 2024. Been looking at web sites.

Also thinking of visiting family in California while there.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

I floated the idea of going in 2024 with a longtime friend, and she's interested too. Then I talked to two more friends, and they're interested. Both of them have been before. Because of various other events, it looks like either session 2 or 3 for us.
Old 04-21-2023, 06:18 PM

This looks really interesting to me. When does registration begin?
Old 04-23-2023, 04:18 AM

Registration may 22, 8am
Old 04-23-2023, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
Registration may 22, 8am
Thank you for that! Assuming that is Pacific time, that it not a great day and time for me. I’ll be at Disneyland with my family and early entry is at 7:30!
How does registration work? I see you can email or fax (or snail mail). If I email my application at 8AM, am I likely to get into the class I want? Does your confirmation really come back 3 weeks later? The one I am interested in is in Session 2, but if I don’t get that class, I’ll probably go to Session 4 where there are several of classes that interest me.
sorry for so many questions, but I have just one more (for now). Have you rented the sewing machine or brought your from home?
Old 04-24-2023, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

I emailed Empty Spools this morning asking about the registration process. I'm so used to registering for classes online, it seems strange to email or snail mail an application. And who uses fax these days?

If I go, I'll drive up with a friend and we'll take our sewing machines along in the car. It's only about 6 hours from my house. If I had to fly, I'd probably rent a machine there.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:39 PM

This will be the first time not driving. I always had plenty of space for everything I wanted. Observing persons who flew, the lobby was full of luggage, etc. The facilities were very accommodating. It always felt like a family reunion. It’s not a hotel. The only people at the facility were connected to the retreat. That’s not guaranteed as it’s a great, scenic, famous park. The machine rental seemed fantastic.

About registration; session 2; Sue Benner, Gloria Loughman and Deborah Fell classes might be filled in the first hour of registration. Other instructors will be available longer. One year, I registered in the first 1/2 hour and got within the last 3 spots. This seminar is highly popular. Have your email ready and just hit send.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by petthefabric View Post
This will be the first time not driving. I always had plenty of space for everything I wanted. Observing persons who flew, the lobby was full of luggage, etc. The facilities were very accommodating. It always felt like a family reunion. It’s not a hotel. The only people at the facility were connected to the retreat. That’s not guaranteed as it’s a great, scenic, famous park. The machine rental seemed fantastic.

About registration; session 2; Sue Benner, Gloria Loughman and Deborah Fell classes might be filled in the first hour of registration. Other instructors will be available longer. One year, I registered in the first 1/2 hour and got within the last 3 spots. This seminar is highly popular. Have your email ready and just hit send.
Thanks for the tips! There is really only 1 class that interests me in Session 2 (and it’s not with any of the teachers you list). If I don’t get that one, there are a bunch that interest me in Session 4. I’ll be driving as well, so I have no excuse not to bring my machine. But my machine is 20+ years old and I thought it might be nice to have a 5 day test drive of a new machine!