Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gammill Headache >

Gammill Headache

Gammill Headache

Old 04-24-2023, 10:50 AM

Default Gammill Headache

OK - beyond frustrated. Created this account to see if anyone else can help me as Gammill Customer service is HORRIBLE! I scheduled a service for my Optimum (non-regulated) because I was shredding thread and breaking needles. I have gotten most of it up and running, however the rocking finger is way out of compliance and no video has been able to help me fix it. I am now having MAJOR issues with bird nests on the back of my quilt. I have re-threaded the machine, changed needles, changed thread, re-timed, attempted to re-time the rocking finger, adjusted tension (both top and bottom) cleaned the machine, searched for burrs...all of the "quick fixes" that Gammill technicians attempt to walk you through via phone to see if you actually need a technician to visit your machine. I had it running well for 1/10th of my quilt, but now I can't go 3" without a thread break due to extra loops under the quilt.
Side note: I called Gammill on April 9th to schedule a service, and no one has gotten back to me to schedule anything. I'm all ears for your suggestions.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:52 AM

I had a Gammill. Phone service was great. A service man was a total different story.

Anyway, always, the first thing I did was oil the machine and wait overnight.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:28 PM

I have oiled - and this has been an ongoing issue for a month now...which is why I called for service.
I truly appreciate the suggestion, though. Do you have any other ideas?
Old 04-24-2023, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

Does gammill have dealers? I would find some closest to me and explain my problem. Really I would call every LA dealer, The problem sounds like a common one for Long Arms. I would think the dealer would know a few things to try. I'm sure the dealer has a repair service too.
Old 04-24-2023, 01:16 PM

Thank you for the suggestion - I had a call in for service, and Gammill has a technician call and walk you through common problems. It was determined that I need service for the issue, but so far no one from Gammill has gotten back to me to even schedule an appointment. Usually whenever someone calls a dealer, they recommend calling the Gammill service department - which is where I seem to be stuck in the que.
Old 04-24-2023, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Blow up their phone. Call and call and call again until they schedule you. Yell if you have to. Or cry. There's no excuse for them not to at least respond.

It might also help to say where you're located, in case someone on the board owns a Gammill and lives near you. They might know of someone who services Gammills in your area.

So far I've been able to fix all the problems with my Innova with help over the phone. But there is a traveling technician who services all the "industrial" brands, including both Innova and Gammill, and I've had him come over a couple of times, just to keep the machine healthy and happy.

Old 04-24-2023, 05:21 PM

Here is a video that might help you.
https://youtu.be/v0fcF0vnyvg
Old 04-24-2023, 06:26 PM

When you say the "rocking finger," is that the finger that holds the outer part of the hook stationary?

If so, you want it to pull away from the hook until it barely holds the outer part of the hook in place.

One crazy thing it could be is your bobbin case could be squashed a bit. To tell, put a bobbin in and pull the thread to see if it binds.

Inside of my bobbin case is a backlash washer. Your probably has it, too. Sometimes that pops out of position. If it can be removed, remove it and see if that makes any difference. There are 2 tabs that have to be snapped down into the bobbin case. If one end isn't down where it should be, that can cause terrible nesting. You can run the machine without the backlash washer -- just don't make very many sudden stops and starts.

Good Luck!
Old 04-25-2023, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I asked a friend who has a Gammill how she got a repair scheduled. She said I gave up on Gammill scheduling anything but a sale. She uses a local sewing machine repairman. He comes to her house and does maint and so far has found the solution to all of her LA problems.
Old 04-25-2023, 10:11 AM

Reminded me. The bobbin case did get squished. Didn’t look different. New case solved the problem.