Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Rings >

Quilting Rings

Quilting Rings

Old 06-04-2023, 12:06 PM
Power Poster

Default Quilting Rings

I bought Juki 2010q machine for machine quilting and piecing. I wanted the Juki Quilting Rings but very expensive to try out to see if I liked them. Martelli has about the same type of rings but still pricey. At the guild free table I found Gypsy Quilter Rings, brand new still in box. The member that brought them said she won them as a door prize at a quilt show and had no use for them. Two sizes. They work great, heavy with good grip. I don't know if the more expensive ones will be that much better . Anyone have the expensive ones and know the difference?
Old 06-04-2023, 01:00 PM
Administrator

if they work well for you look no further. :-)
Old 06-05-2023, 02:40 AM

I had a set of the Martelli rings a few years ago...but then I upgrated to a small Grace frame, and so I sold them. They did work great for me, but figured I'd never need them again.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:17 AM

I have the Bernina ones, which look to be pretty much the same as the Juki. Also much like the Martelli ones. All are significantly more expensive than the Gypsy model. Do you have a guild or sewing group in your area? Maybe somebody has a set you could try to compare. Or, go to a shop that sells that model. I bought mine after trying them at a Bernina shop.
Old 06-05-2023, 03:51 AM

I purchased the Martelli rings years ago. They were a game changer for me. They were pricey. They are all I use and I love not wearing gloves. I almost feel like they are magic! The fabric glides nicely and the knobs are placed at just the right location. That has been a solid investment for me, I really only use those rings for my free motion quilting. At one point, the rubber backing started to come unglued on one of the rings. . I reached out to Martelli and they promptly took care of the problem. I also agree with patricej - if the other brand works for you - you are in good shape, look no further. My girlfriend recently purchased the Martelli rings and they came as a solid ring. Mine has a 1" gap which allows me to slide the ring around the shank/needle. My girlfriend ended up cutting a gap into her rings so she could also do that. I'm really not sure why they made that design change and if they are still designed like that, I'm just not sure you'd be happy. I don't think I would be as satisfied with a solid ring - it just doesn't make sense. .
Old 06-05-2023, 06:44 AM

The Martelli rings do work great. You can totally relax your hands while they're on the knobs. My ring is solid, but not of equal thickness all around. There's a dip that is low enough to get it under the thingy.
Old 06-06-2023, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Onebyone, can you post a pic? You have me intrigued. I will buy anything that would improve my dreadful FMQ lol
Old 06-06-2023, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

Here is a video of the rings. They are on Amazon for $19. They don't seem lightweight to me but I don't know how heavy the others brands are to compare.

https://www.ozquilts.com.au/the-fabu...-ozquilts.html

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-06-2023 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Here is a video of the rings. They are on Amazon for $19. They don't seem lightweight to me but I don't know how heavy the others brands are to compare.

https://www.ozquilts.com.au/the-fabu...-ozquilts.html
While I was waiting for you to reply (thank you!) I saw them on Amazon and for 19 bucks I said why not and ordered them.
Thanks for the heads up!
Are you enjoying your Juki? I love mine.
Old 06-06-2023, 07:58 AM

I forgot to mention, Martelli also now (or at least they did a couple of years ago) offers something like the rings, but they are two separate pieces. I actually never got around to trying them because the rings work so well at keeping the quilt tight and flat.