Question Quilt Binding maker

Hello to all the Quilting GURUS here,

A question from a non-quilter-

Has anyone used a Quilt Binding Maker?

I saw one on Etsy:

https://etsy.me/42Nt7dg

and on amazon:

https://amzn.to/42NteFI

These just make single folds for quilt binding (not a bias tape maker.....I spent hours understanding the difference!)

I am wondering if this is a useful tool or would a Quilt Binding maker without Ironing be a better choice? Is there anything like that even available in the market? My aunt quilts and sometimes will iron this looo,,,,,oong folded piece of fabric for binding her quilts. I was wondering if there is something that will make this job easier for her.

Pardon my ignorance, but I will appreciate any guidance in this matter from the Quilting Gurus here

Thank You so Much!

Alex
Old 06-15-2023, 02:16 PM

I thought about one of those but decided that I wanted a double fabric binding because of the wear & tear on the edge when using the quilt. So no...didn't buy it.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:55 PM

Hi Alex
This is a very thoughtful thing to do for your aunt!
You might want to consider just asking your aunt, because every one is so different in their preferences.
Some just love new gadgets
some will stick to the old tried & true that they are used to
Some will like this thing
some won't.
I just use a very long hat pin, or sometimes a longarm quilting pin... I just stick it into my ironing board and slide the binding strip I'm trying to iron underneath it. works the same way

I will be interested in what others say....
Old 06-15-2023, 04:06 PM
Power Poster

I don't see the need for a binding maker. I just cut the strips, iron in half and sew it on the quilt.
I like gadgets somewhat but many are just gimmicky to me. Plus the fact that I forget what I have many times!
Old 06-15-2023, 05:38 PM

I had gotten one, but ended up tossing it. The fabric kept binding up on the 'belt loops' and my iron is the type that has an auto shut off on it and I had to constantly keep picking up the iron to wake it up.

It was quicker to fold and iron the binding fabric without it. Also, it was more accurate to do the fold and iron the regular way. I make queen and king sized quilts and have very long bindings, and honestly, the binding maker was just a pain to fiddle with.

If you would like to get something for your Aunt, quilters can always use gift certificates for their favorite fabric store!

Old 06-15-2023, 06:18 PM
Power Poster

I use this for double fold binding. Works great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy-yJt7IfEI
Old 06-15-2023, 06:40 PM

Check Jo's County Junction. She did a post on a 3rd hand binding tool that she really likes. Small company & I think the husband has come up with tools for his wife to use in quilting.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:49 PM

Very thoughtful idea. I don't have this one, but I have had one for years. I hardly ever use it now.

Last edited by cathyvv; 06-15-2023 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 02:48 AM

I always make double fold binding and have always done it by hand, no little gimmick tools involved. It only takes less than 10 minutes depending on the length involved. In my opinion I just can't see using one.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:56 AM

If you go on Youtube, Terry Rowland made her own binding board using a plain old piece of wood and a couple long doll needles. I ordered my needles and I have lots of scrap wood out in my garage so I plan to make one of these. Since my order came with 4-6 needles, I'll use at least 4 of them placed in 2 locations on each side so it will help keep the binding straight as I press it in half. Thought it a great idea using what you have around the house or easily attained.